Convert 1998 SID to 80mm ?

mechagouki

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Anyone know if I can easily raise the travel on my original ('9:cool: SID to 80mm from the stock 63mm? I'm finding my ageing bones don't like the riding position on my Xizang so much these days and I'm looking to raise the front end a little and install a shorter stem and riser bar - can it be done or should I look for another fork?

No can do.
The travel is limited in the damper. If you want more travel, you will need a different damper. The neutral shaft can be changed a bit, but the damper is limiting the travel.

The problem is travel is limited by the overall length of the shafts on the damper and non damper side. They arent long enough to allow the fork to extend at full travel far enough to reach 80mm on maximum compression. The only way to get 80mm is to make or modify longer shafts. This can be done as I have done it myself. You need to get hold of a year 2000 SID 'XC' and modify its internals to fit the 98 SID. The internal bore of the stanchions is larger on the 97 SID so the 'XC' shafts need to be modified to accept the piston heads from the 98 fork. They also need shortening slightly as the 98 SID's crown drops more meaning the stanchion length is shorter than that of the 2000 SID XC. Without doing this the piston heads will hit the topcaps on full travel.

Internals from other SID's wont fit as the 2 forks mentioned above are the only ones that retain the internals by means of a circlip. 99' SID's and other later models have a threaded cap in the bottom end of the stanchion to keep the guts from falling out on rebound.

mechagouki":2kjvykpj said:
do JUDY dampers fit? I have a 100mm JUDY damper lying around.

Possibly with some modification. Put up a pic of it and I'll let you know. However, even if it does you'll be restricted to no more than 70mm buy the shaft on the non-damping side (it just doesnt extend far enough, too short). You could run that leg empty but you'd loose the negative spring. But there could be a soloution. I'd need to see a good pic of that judy cart to really know for sure.

the '99 pistons do not fit in the 98 stanctions.
also the '99 and '98 pistons do not fit in 97 or earlier Judy's, I only don't know if they fit in later Judy's.
I tried to swap some parts in forks, but strangly 98 pistons only fit in '98 stanctions.
I have 2 complete '98 innerworks, but they only work in the '98 stanctions. i hoped to use them in other forks.
I wanted to use them in a 99 sid and replace the pistons with '99 pistons, but they also don't fit on the shafts..

pfff long story :)

The other factor you have to bear in mind when increasing the fork travel is the addtional flex you will suffer.

I have the Mr Wings kit for my Judy XCs but having e-mailed them they don't recommend going to 80mm, even though they provide the threaded rod extensions, due to flex...

depeding on model, there maybe spacers fitted to reduce travel - but if they were sold as 63 mm and you are at 63 mm travel, then chances are if there were spacers fitted, they are not there now.

Back