My '92 GT Zaskar - 20/09/12 update.

Parts have been acquired.

Deore Brakelevers (Temporary until I can sort out some nicer Brake levers)
IMG_1044.jpg

9spd Dura-Ace Thumbshifters
IMG_1042.jpg

I'd much prefer black lever rubber grip socks. Does anyone know where I can get some of the newer 10spd Dura-Ace B'end rubber grip socks as they are black?

Newish Flite Ti saddle
IMG_1040.jpg

GT Seatpost clamp
IMG_0996.jpg

RD-M900 XTR Rear Mech. I need to sort out the marks on this and replace the hanger bolt for a 'breakaway'.
IMG_1011.jpg

Still looking for Front V's, and a seatpost. The frame is off to my LBS tomorrow to have the forks and headset fitted, they are also checking the seatpost size (the 28.6 I tried in it feels a little bit sloppy...but it could be the old post?!)
I have a set of wheels (not Retro), bars but these might be changed as they aren't as tidy as I'd like, and I need a nice front mech. :)

Coming along nicely if I do say so myself.

Huge thanks to gil_m for the quick fork decal turn around :). They look superb.

IMG_1047.jpg

IMG_1048.jpg

IMG_1053.jpg

IMG_1049.jpg

IMG_1050.jpg

IMG_1052.jpg

:cool:

Build update.

Re-coated Shifter levers.
IMG_1058-1.jpg

IMG_1059-1.jpg

Not perfect but a nice first attempt. I'll run them over the summer and look at re-doing them next year.

Almost there.
IMG_1061.jpg

Not 100% sure about the Chrome bars or the seatpost, but they both match (Tioga) and will function ok for this year.

those tyres sure a phat! looks like they JUST clear the u brake.. bars and post look fine to me..27.0 are hard to come by..its hard to be choosey about them. i run a ritchey post on mine..the logos were painted, so i used some paint stripper and rubbed them off...imho sans logos looks better on the zaskar.interesting build...urban bike i take it, not off road?

merckx":g1mesg3k said:
those tyres sure a phat! looks like they JUST clear the u brake.. bars and post look fine to me..27.0 are hard to come by..its hard to be choosey about them. i run a ritchey post on mine..the logos were painted, so i used some paint stripper and rubbed them off...imho sans logos looks better on the zaskar.interesting build...urban bike i take it, not off road?

When the U is set there is a decent amount of clearance, not loads but enough for this bikes intended use.

Yep a kind of Urban ride, but it's maiden voyage will be up into my local Country park so I guarantee it'll be thrashed up and down the grassy hills.

That's exactly it about Zaskars (old skool GT's in general), the frame commands all of the attention so logos on other components are largely un-neccessary. :D

Kind of finished for now... :D
IMG_1092.jpg

IMG_1109.jpg

IMG_1111.jpg

IMG_1101.jpg

IMG_1082.jpg

IMG_1098.jpg

IMG_1100.jpg

IMG_1102.jpg

IMG_1103.jpg

IMG_1104.jpg

IMG_1106.jpg

Initial thoughts are that the following need changing.
1. I need Odi Attack grips or any kind of grip with solid rubber ends (The bars touch the top tube). Any recommendations?
2. The chain is too short so I need to change that pronto.
3. The front V's are awesome...but they're just way to powerful compared to the rear U and they feel a bit mushy compared to the U. So I'm going to source some latest XT V's or put a pair of LX on it (standard type V's).
4. Its not light and most of the weight seems to be in the wheels/tyres. So to start with I'll slip on a pair of lighter less meaty tyres, and then eventually get a new set of wheels.
5. The Deore brake levers are temporary as I'm waiting on a set of Avid 7's.

It rides very nicely and I'm looking forward to giving it some beans tomorrow.
In the long term I'll change the bars, seatpost, wheels, tyres, grips, rear brake (to a CNC BMX brake) and stem. Watch this space as it needs to go on a diet :D

Back