Nexus Hub Oil?

what sheldon brown has to say on the subject:

Lubrication

The Nexus hubs are packed with a very special grease. They are quite well sealed, and should only require service at very rare intervals. The great majority of mechanical problems that I've encountered or heard of have been the result of "preventive maintenance" including re-lubrication with incorrect grease.

check it out:

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/nexus-mech.html

gbsimpsa":1bvjiv5l said:
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=27229

There must be a cheaper solution (No pun intended!)

ATF for the Alfine and as the Nexus 7 is just another planetary gearbox, I can't see why it won't be ok there too.

info on this seems quite rare

anyway

'Thawing the bike (or even peeing on the hub) solves the problem for a while. The usual way to solve the problem permanently was to get another bike with derailleurs. However there are good reasons to believe that flushing the internals with oil helps. Converting a Nexus hub from grease to oil is also the only sane and economical way to maintain it. People usually use ATF oil since the official Shimano oil is shamelessly overpriced. Once converted to oil, it will have to be maintained at lesser intervals.
Some googling on "IGH, nexus, winter, oil, ATF" should give you some directions.
Until then, remember to shift the bike into an appropriate gear when leaving it. '

amongst things i found on google
more info
ATF is suggested
http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=596444

This should be the final word on this...

Was in danish Shimano service/tech for 3 years.Great learning experience with the worst boss I have ever had in my career.

Now opened my own LBS in Nexus capital of the world.

#1 on my shopping list was this item. For sure - it's aimed at pro shops. But it is frankly the b.llox. But it will make your hub a tad noisier. Remember to also use Nexus grease and the correct dustcaps (-31 version) for 8-speed hubs.

You could send me the hub and I'll dip it for you - but it will cost more than the service kit in postage.

Shimano like this oil so much they dallied with the idea of an oilport for hubs but were too worried that people might spray the likes of WD40 through it that they wisely decided against the idea.

Nexus oil will protect against corrosion and ensure better shifting that out-of-the-box solution. Only drawbacks are louder freewheel mechanism and you need to grease coaster brake shoe and main drive-side-bearing seperately.

looks like thats that then :cool:

its a shame its so expensive

on a couple websites i looked at, some of the claimed prices were £56 and £50-60

dbmtb, can you get it cheaper?
or will postage kill it again? :? :(

Postage and the weak pound kills everything for me Cyfa.... Frankly anything more than 2kg in weight is just too expensive to send now, after they put what was already the world's most expensive prices up again on 1st april. Parcel of 3kg would cost (Wait for it) about £35. and they wonder why danish internet trading is stagnant.

You can buy the oil without the tub. If it weren't for postage I'd be able to sell you a can for £37 or so even taking into account VAT at 25%. A can contans more than the original tub will hold anyway - and there's enough oild for even a danish dealer to manage a year on, with a large volume of Nexus services.

wow!
crazy postage price and the price on the oil! :shock:

thats a shame about the stagnant internet market, its so vast. probably the danes are missing out on a lot of good deals and the like, hopefully your physical trading is good.

My limited understanding is you remove the gubbins, place them in the tub of oil and refit. If you can find a LBS that do the service, it might not be too bad. I think edinburghbicycle do it for example

P20":1si74kpu said:
My limited understanding is you remove the gubbins, place them in the tub of oil and refit. If you can find a LBS that do the service, it might not be too bad. I think edinburghbicycle do it for example

Not quite.

Remove sprocket and dust caps before removing from hub shell.

Dip the right way up (drive side down) until it stops bubbling. Remove and rest on top of tub until most of the oil has dripped back into tub.

Refit to hub shell, remembering to grease bearing race first. Fit dust cap before you turn wheel round to do up the locknuts.

Back