Polishing help

ahh ok cheers for the info, its good as i have considered soda, so i couldve made a broken frame :LOL: :cool:

caustic on ali will make it look like its contracted leprosy!!

i used it in the base of a burnt ali pan at work and its now only good for emptying dirty fryers into! don't put the stuff anywhere near a frame just in case.

I've been attacking my frame today with Wet & Dry and Brasso... only a quick try but quite pleased with the results... 240/400/600 Grit, then Brasso wadding. There's some quite fiddly bits though, so I was hoping I'd be able to use Nitromoors on those bits, and round the welds.

if your taking the paint off, just nitromors it all!
blitz it right off

i did mine in the shower :cool:

and autosol gets out alu scratches on baths (enamel? think mine is steel)

i did it in the shower becaus ei couldnt get rid of the streaks due to rattle can paint, where as the original paint falked and bubbled underneath

autosol will still get rid of some of the minor streaks though

OK
So the paper i had was 1200
works nicely :cool:
but, its still leaving small scratches (as it would)
how to get rid of this :(
if i autosol it a few more times?

also, when to stop using that bit of sandpaper? when it falls apart?

1500's or 2000's followed by a good hand polish with megs NXT or similar will do you proud ;-)

When going for a true mirror finish cleanliness is important - wash off well and use a fresh cloth for every stage of polishing, a dirty cloth with bits of 800 grit in it won't do well for buffing off the final polish :-(

WD :D

Satin finish

During the process of trial polishing my frame (After the 600 grit) The finish was a sort of a satin look from a distance which I really liked but, of course, up close it was lots of scratches... is there any way of getting a satin finish, other than anodised?

Back