orange p7 / clockwork whats the difference,

1997/8 Clockworks and P7's are indistinguishable apart from the bottle bosses, the P7 has a sort of diamond shape that stands proud of the tubes, like a little lug.

raymondluxuryyacht":3by4bkjh said:
So we have an answer for this thread. The p7 has slightly bigger tube size. Measurements to follow.
Clearly that is true of the comparison between your 1995 P7 and your Clockwork, but your Clockwork is obviously earlier than 1995. I would be surprised if there was a difference in tube size between a P7 and a C16 of the same year.

As discovered, Clockwork and P7 are quite easy to tell apart, since the P7 is a bigger tubed beast, that was its 'selling point' BiTD.
(assuming clockwork era most people think of, being early 90's)

The serial number should give you the year of the frame with the help of the people above, it may even give you the model. I don't know.

Clockwork and Prestige would probably need photos along with the serial. The weight of the frame may also help. (again assuming the early 90's and not the modern named Prestige/Clockworks)

As for the C16x etc to P7 I have no idea, not something that has interested me yet.

<grumpy> This is not a 'sticky' sort of thread, but the sort of thing like many others that should end up in the Bike FAQ's also it's Chat not Readers bikes</grumpy> :oops:

Very interesting. I bought my Prestige frame new in (I think) 1993 for £300 and it's still going strong.

The bottom bracket cable routing is by a funny little extra lip of metal so the cables run above the bottom bracket shell out of the way of mud and stuff.

Jacqueslemac":3eu714eo said:
Very interesting. I bought my Prestige frame new in (I think) 1993 for £300 and it's still going strong.

The bottom bracket cable routing is by a funny little extra lip of metal so the cables run above the bottom bracket shell out of the way of mud and stuff.
#That'll be about the right year probably 1992 model.
They switched in ~1993, that same time I think they moved to the Prestige Ultimate tubing (without delving in to the depth of retrobike posts) to a top routed front mech but used a roller so a bottom pull front mech could be used, since Top-pull mechs had really only just been released.

You may well be right about the c16 Anthony. I was just commenting on the clockwork as that's what tinker asked about (which I assume had narrowed down to because he had some info about the date already).

Happy for this to go in a FAQ or where-ever. Agree it would also be better posted in chat. :roll:

FluffyChicken":3ur97t0l said:
Jacqueslemac":3ur97t0l said:

#That'll be about the right year probably 1992 model.
They switched in ~1993, that same time I think they moved to the Prestige Ultimate tubing (without delving in to the depth of retrobike posts) to a top routed front mech but used a roller so a bottom pull front mech could be used, since Top-pull mechs had really only just been released.
The Prestige went over to Tange Ultimate Superlight half way through 92 and through until the end of 1993. The P7 essentially didn't come out until 94, although I have seen one in 93 colours and with a Prestige-style fork, suggesting late 93 but the owner believed it to be a 94.

Some but not all 93 Prestiges had a roller, and all the ones I have pictures of have top-pull mechs. Top-pull came out for the 1992 Shimano model year and was presumably available for 92 bikes sold from Autumn 91, but a roller would give the owner useful flexibility I guess.

There's nothing much that you can say axiomatically about Orange, other than they chopped and changed all the time, much more than other makes.

Back