headset adjustment/compression plug help request...

happycaterpiller

Dirt Disciple
hey,

So, i finally got together all the bits for my build and assembled it today, and everything's grand... except the headset... the forks came w a compression plug instead of a star nut which phased me slightly as i've not seen one b4... anyways, i left it in cos i wasnt sure how to take it out and i assembled all the bits and tried to tighten it all up but i cant get rid of the play.. so, i'm unsure what the problem is and im not sure this explanation is gonna help anyone(!) but i'll give it a go... the poss sources of the problem i've guessed are:

1) the compression plug looks like it might have come up the steerer as i tightened it. im not sure about this one, but i think i remember it being part way down before and its now at the top... i have no idea how they work so im not sure if i might have pulled it up somehow and this cud affect the headset adjustment?

2) the top of the steerer i got is cut a bit wonky so the gap i have at the top varies by about 1.5-2ish mm around the circle.

3) maybe i just have the wrong size spacers to create the right gap? but i've tried every combo i can with the 5 and 10 mm ones and i dont think they come in sizes smaller than 5mm or btwn 5 and 10mm??

when i take it apart, it has never gone tight enough to push the compression ring into its house and it always sitting open slightly higher than the bit below...

any help appreciated

:)

ps. b4 anyone suggests it, i am doing the bolts at the top in the right order...

hi hairycaterpillar

could you perhaps take a pic?
if its a hope one, it could be its too loose
or it could be that the headset isnt seated properly before you tightened it

a link or pic of compression plug? would help i reckon ;)

actually, b4 any more replies, i just realised i can get 3mm spacers, i think that might poss solve the prob. will post again tomoro if it doesnt work... cant post photos as dont havea digital camera, sorry. :cool:

Sounds like the plug isn't tightened. If it is a Hope you need to put an 8mm Allen key in and loosen it to push it down and then retighten using the Allen key.

You could also level the top of the steerer off by mounting a stem on and using that as a guide to cut it straight.

BertR00t":2o1zn8qa said:
Sounds like the plug isn't tightened. If it is a Hope you need to put an 8mm Allen key in and loosen it to push it down and then retighten using the Allen key.

You could also level the top of the steerer off by mounting a stem on and using that as a guide to cut it straight.

yeah thats what i was going to suggest but didnt know what plug it is

im not sure if the wonkiness would affect it, mine doesnt. as long as there is enough gap

maybe the plug is too far up? so the bolt is bottoming out. i cant remember what level hope suggest

hey, thanks for the responses... i'm not sure waht make of plug it is (it just came with the fork), but ti think ur right that its bottoming out on it... i got a 3mm spacer so its not the gap at top of steerer. so, can anyone explain me how the compression plug works... i've not got the right size allen key at mo, but when a mate of mine tried to undo it a few days ago all that happened was that it got loose enuf to spin around but not come out... n i think maybe what happened is that he then didt do it back up tight enuf and its moved up the steerer as ive tightened the top bolt and now there not enough room for the top capbit or somethign... if i get the right size allen key, what happens when i loosen the compression plug? how do i get it to move up or down?

If you have a look on YouTube for hope hed doctor there is a video of how they work. I watched it twice before I fitted mine.

if it is hope hed doctor
they are a bit tricky to move up and down as they have a rubber grip ring :?
best thing is get it out
do it up so its just tight, not loose, then insert it
then hope it will have enough grip to tighten
or angle the allen key so its grips better

Back