Polishing help

plus its not going to be lacquered very soon (if at all)
but once the finish is achieved i dont mind polishing it on again as i did with my old frame

I use a mixture of wet and dry (1200 grit), a bench polishing wheel (to get rid of deeper scratches), Autosol and Brasso. Without a mechanical aide, it's really about elbow grease and time. When polishing some cranks last year, I think I spent every evening for a week in front of the TV with some newspaper, the cranks and Autosol!

awesome
will the 1200 or so grit scratch it up to bad?

cheers for the advice guys
think i will come at it with some wet and dry :?
or brillo pad?

wasnt expecting the time frme though :roll: :LOL:
not sure if it will be ready for single speeeeeeed :roll:

Test on the lower, underside of the down tube, or the underneath of the bottom bracket. Try the 2000 too if you have some, that may be all you need.

Suck it and see...but in an inconspicuous place first. ;)

since finding this forum i've found myself stripping and polishing 3 of my frames, the last one i did was my marin B17 (which had seriously tough powder coat) got that off with nitromors then all i did was give it a good scrub with mr muscle soap filled brillo pads about £1.30 for 10 in tesco's ... i've only one round of polishing on it with autosol and it already looks lovely :cool:

could you describe what it was like before you scrubbed it?
trying to gauge a similarity ;)

The right way would be to use a pro. polishing compound, like 3M used for polishing cars. and, all so from 3M, Scotch Brite pads:

3mfinepads.jpg

1 pad cost 1-1.5£ and the compound is same price as Autosol.

Back