Beloved Salsa A La Carte

sweeet.

Welcome Rick, and can I ask the frame number please? My a la carte is SM327, and has been in the UK since new too...

Ta, theboy

orange71":3q1wpul2 said:
Sinterklaas put me a A La Carte in my shoe

'Santa Claus' puts things in our 'stockings' over here! :LOL: Either way you'd be struggling to fit a bike in! :D

You havnt seen some of the women in Northampton ;)

If you want a bike sized stocking, I'll ask one of my neighbours :LOL:

isle of wight

This is off topic but I noticed that the newbie was from the Isle of Wight...a recent mountain bike magazine here in the states recommended the isle of Wight as a great place to go riding. What are your opinions?

If you traveled all the way from the US you may be disappointed. :LOL:

It is a diferent matter if you only have to trave a couple of hours to get there.

The main attraction I found on the island (many years ago) was the lack of any real traffic, and the gently rolling coastal path (you can see it wending its way down to the cliffs on the pic below). The needles (pic) are a pretty spectacular thing to see too. But Moab it 'aint. ;)

Attachments

• AWDS_south20.jpg
    AWDS_south20.jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 2,387
Very nice, and nowt wrong with a few newer parts on a bike that gets ridden regularly.
Are those cranks toplines not grafton though?

Wow, What a great response from all you guys regarding my old Salsa.
Here are answers to a few questions that have been posted.

The frame no. is SM517 and I bought it in early '91 from the guys at Ssshockwave in Nottingham UK.

The cranks were bought new at the same place later that year for a stupid amount of money - I'm pretty sure they are Graftons - they were sold to me as that ' Grafton Speedstix' if my memory is any good !! They were purple when new - I fell out of love with that finish and stipped them back to
to ally for a less psychedelic look !!

For the guy from US asking about the Island riding - sure if you made the trip specially you my be dissappointed if you're looking for technical trails.
BUT the Isle of Wight has over 500 miles of bridleway and byways so long
killer loops with lots of steep climbs, forest trail, rooty woodland, high downs, coastal path and some fun rocky downhill chutes can be found.
If you ever vist the island, ride with a local if you can - every year there is a MTB festival in May called ' Wight Diamond ' with races, trials, music,drinking....
Every Sept there is the IOW Hills Killer event which has around 300 entrys. There are three events - 3 Hills Killer ( 13 miles ) , 7 Hills Killer
(26 miles ) and the 14 Hills Killer ( 52 miles ). The island can be pretty
challenging if you know where to go. Maybe we should get a Retrobike team
entry together for the 2008 event ???

Beauty of a bike :cool:
Would love to try a Salsa some time :D

I had a week in the IOW this summer, and I'm trying to convince the wife to allow us to go back next year as I'd love to try some of the trails there. Its a beautiful place, I've got this pic I took as my desktop wallpaper.......do a fair amount of daydreaming looking at it. Just trying to figure how to sneak a GT into the suitcase.......

Attachments

• IOW.JPG
    IOW.JPG
    15.2 KB · Views: 1,203
Welcome Richard and may I say I love your bike. Tried to talk Jez into selling me his but he was having none of it :( Love the IOW also for biking, me and a few mates used to race in the wight max every year and it was definately my favourite event. Shame it stopped! :cry:

Back