Polishing help

cyfa2809

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
stripped my frame with nitromors and began polishing
but it doesnt come up shiny with autosol, ive done it 3 times now
yes its come up slightly shinier, but not as much as id like/how much the headtube is (yes, headtube came up lovely)

it just stays matte :?
any tips?

'Kona Clump 7005 Aluminum'

spoke to someone about that and he said that they are awkward and go lopsided or something :?
ideally want to do it with autosol (am i doing it wrong? no) or cheap as possible
i know the attachments are cheap etc. though
(plus i hate using my drill :evil: )

autosol is ace stuff but takes a lot of elbow grease. if you have a grinder (9") then you can get polishing mops which are loads better.

You could try fine wet and dry before the autosol?
The Nitromors may have roughed up the surface a bit.

Re: .

dont have a grinder

Grannygrinder":3g10nghg said:
You could try fine wet and dry before the autosol?
The Nitromors may have roughed up the surface a bit.
oh i didnt think the nitromors would do that? although when polishing it does feel 'rough' in patches, under the polish. not 'rough' to look at though :?

i have considered wet and dry but dont want to scratch it up :?
what grade should i use? that the polish can then remove?

very fine wet&dry followed by a couple of autosol polishes with the finest wire wool you can find followed by a couple more polished with autosol and a cotton t-shirt sleeve (cheapest and best thing i've found so far!

clean and de-grease with meths to see the end result. if you want it shinier you can go for brasso (or silvo) with a soft yellow duster and that should get some extra shine. it is very time consuming and the biggest problem is getting it even (you will notice dull spots when you come to do the longer tubes).

i have polished a couple of rifles in the past and got them to a near mirror finish just using autosol but i did use a polishing mop on the electric drill (and a mop on the dremmel for the tight corners & crevices) after the wet & dry treatment. an air rifle would take an hour or two of constant buffing to get perfect so a bike frame will take at least 12 - 16 depending on your method!

Wire wool is a good call.
If the service is rough Autosol will get there in the end, but it will take ages.
If you can flat it back first using 800-1000 grit wet and dry(wet) or wire wool you should speed up the process ;)

have no wire wool :( (think i have a brillo pad?)
i did once try sand paper and wutosol i think, but it dried out :?:

i can put the time in, just last time i nitromors'd my frame (another) it didnt take long at all.
i have 1000 and 2000 grit i think
are you sure it wont scratch it (too deeply) or will the polish take it out eventually?

it is kind of patchy already, i.e where the tubing goes from square at the front to round, you can see the flats are shiner on the round tube parts :roll:

Back