To clip or not to clip?

• SPD, the tighter the better!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Bit of both, depends on which bike.

• Free and easy, flatties 'till I die!

• Total voters
Brilliant... The last few posts have basically said the same thing I did after reading that article! Maybe there is something in it, maybe not. I am going to try it but I agree, it feels like you left something at home when you aren't clipped in. :LOL:

Oh, this is road only, I would rather be clipped off road as the mud and crap that acumulates on your shoes off road would make me uncomfortable on flats (I have DMR V8's and like having skin on my legs!)

Hi,

I use both platform pedals and pedals icw toeclips/straps

With regular pedals I developed a quite efficient rotation ...I take the pedals quite long with me. I feel perfectly save.

Toeclips/strap works fine. Full rotations, decent platform, allows some movement ...while still feeling save

The SPDs and Speedplays I tried offer not sufficient platform for me

Tallpaul":1dcefa5z said:
With flatties i often found that my foot would move so the heel was doing the pedalling so i'd have to move it back. Maybe i don't need to move it back and pedalling with your heels is fine? :?
get better flatties ;)
I should admit I'm not a racer, I ride for enjoyment not to get from a to b in the shortest possible time. I'm no slouch either but its about the ride not clipping 30 seconds off my favoutite route.

Clipped in, off road, me !
No chance, need to bale quickly and often but can still bunnyhop sufficiently on flats.

I have tried spd's and for road use were fine but offroad when things get sketchy and quick reactions are called for, the last thing I want is to try and detach myself from my bike quickly.

Off road clipped in summed up in one expression -
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGG!!!!!!!!!!!!!

but the thing is they stay in place when you want them to, but in a crash situation I have never been unable to detach from clipless - I don't even think about it, it just happens.

Same as Orange71 , I dont need to think about unclipping it just happens .

same on the road bike , and Look pedals are a bit harder to unclip .

orange71":2npphse8 said:
but the thing is they stay in place when you want them to, but in a crash situation I have never been unable to detach from clipless - I don't even think about it, it just happens.

Yup, second that motion, I have never had an accident, on or off road, and found my self in advertently attached to the bike.

i tried to get used to spds bitd but felt very unbalanced on the ball of my foot - ive always ridden flats from bmx so it felt a bit odd to have my foot in a very different position. i love too be able to shuffle around on teh pedals too.
i fully understand the advantages of spds and kinda wish i was more happy on them as im sure theyd be a huge bonus on long rides.
one not so good thing i did notice with spds was that instead of bunnyhopping properly i'd do them weird levitating leg lifting ones where you just sort of pull up both wheels together - very odd! :LOL:

Clipless for me.

The only time I fell off still clipped in was when I first started using them. Twice on my maiden ride! The first fall on a steep rocky hill, front wheel hit a rock and because I was travelling at a snails pace I fell to the left.. right into a Holly bush! Ouch. Several miles later we rounded a bend in the trail to be confronted by walkers, I guess we were doing 20 odd mph and so we screeched to what I thought would be a slow pace but oh no my mate who was leading, for some inexplicable reason decided to stop. As I was riding right up his chuff it was with frantic braking that I managed to stop but did I remember to unclip? Nah, fell over still attached to the bike into some cold muddy water... oh the faces of the walkers were pictures of mirth as I lay there struggling to get out! :oops:

Unclipping is second nature these days, I don't even think about it, even in crashes I never stay attached to the bike.

Back