68mm Italian thread BB??

David B

Old School Grand Master
Feedback
View
Just been on eBay and have seen a nice Ti-spindle BB unit up for sale. The seller lists it as being for a 68mm diameter BB shell but also has it down as being Italian threaded. I thought Italian BBs were always 70mm and 68mm usually meant BSC threading? Or are there rare exceptions?

Thanks in advance for clearing up the puzzle.

David

You are right, but there is nothing to prevent you fitting a 68 mm spindle in an Italian threaded BB if you cut down the shell and use Italian ups.

I'm putting together a Bianchi at the moment. Pulled out an Italian C Record BB I've been hoarding for years only to find the BB shell on the frame is only 68mm wide. If I use this BB there will be about 3mm of adjustable cup sticking out :( . Bloomin' Italians.

Must admit to a bit of gormlessness on my own part here and got shell width and cup diameter mixed up (turns out Italian cup is 0.5mm to 1mm bigger diameter so guessing that adds further to the incompatibility). :oops:
Anyhow, upshot is that I contacted said eBayer and it was indeed strictly an Italian BB therefore not suitable for my Orbit frame :(

David

Back