orange p7 / clockwork whats the difference,

tinker

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Hi
how can you tell the difference between the p7 and clockwork of the same age around 1993-4
are there any identifying marks, or any thing at all that will tell the apart cos they both look the be the same to me but I'm no expert at all,
thanks

Tinker

there are some subtle and not so subtle differences in the frame design and build but mostly it's a tubing thing, the P7 was originally called the P7 because 7 of the tubes were made from Prestige tubing as opposed to cromo (?) tubing.

have you bought something and not sure whether it is a p7 or clockwork? if you chuck up a pic we should be able to suss it out between us :D

I thought the p7 name was to do with being the 7th frame design or combination of tubes they came up with. Whilst the orange prestige was the only wholly tange prestige frame. I may be wrong about that though. The clockwork however was tange infinity, I know that much.

...and then you got the whole "8 series" tubeset on later P7 models!! :shock: damn...it's like searching out the devil!

:LOL:

I think the 8 series tubing is a selected bunch of tubes mainly from tange. It is not stock tube set/kit though. Can anyone confirm? One possible feature for telling apart p7s and clockwork might be cable routing. I think the 92 clockwork had down tube front mech cable routing with a special curved metal bit to feed the cable to the front mech. I have a 93 in my loft waiting to be built so will also check that.

Just re read some catalogues which confirm that
Clockwork=tange infinity
Prestige=tange prestige
Formula=custom mix of Columbus, tange and reynols tubes
P7=custom drawn cro mo from unspecified source

The difference in cable routing if down to age rather then model. A '92 Clockwork will have similar routing to the '92 Prestige and a '94 Clockwork will be similar to the '94 p7.

The change from Tange tubes seemed to happen when they changed the model line up and dropped the Prestige. I guess you can't call it a Prestige when it's made of something different? Clockworks were Tange Infinity up until they changed to the c16 (although I think I've seen a few very late Clockworks that were not Infinity).

The p7 was not a direct replacement for the Prestige (you could get them both in 1993). I think the Prestige lost it's place in the line up because of the Vit T or Elite stealing it's thunder rather then the p7.

For reference, my '99 Clockwork is made from 'Series 7.6 Individually Butted' tubes.

Latest posts

Back