'89 Giant Super Sierra **FINISHED**

wired99

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
As if I haven't got enough builds on I couldn't refuse this one. Thanks to doctor-bond I have just received a lovingly packed '89 Giant Super Sierra frame in the post and thought I would start a build thread here.

It's a lovely 'black' chrome one with those lush old-school decals. I believe these were originally specced with XT730. I am not sure the purse strings will stretch to that so I am planning to go with Deore II which I think will work fine here. The facia on both rear and front mech will go real nice against the black chrome of the frame.

She's in grand condition given her age and doesn't appear to have had ahrd life at all. The chainstays are in very good nick.The patina where the chrome has belemished strangely gives it a used but cool look. I think I am going to try and keep her sleek and slimline kinda lo-pro looking I guess. The original stem (thrown in by doctor-bond as a gift) is lovely but think it will be a tad to steep for me. I think I am going for a chrome, minimal rise one with flat bars. I will run skinwalls and try and keep everything else chrome if I can.

Anyone got one of these? She looks pretty slack but not as much so as my Claud Butler Canyon. Pretty excited about this one as I think she is going to be a bit of a looker :D
*Just put wheels on to show the geometry.....

001-Copy.jpg

004-6.jpg

007-5.jpg

That's very nice, I think she will look stunning when ready. What tubeset is the frame made of?

:)

Looks good in a no thrills classic sort of way. Always preferred the look of that old Giant typeface to the modern day one.

giant_bikes.png

Yours looks cool, a rider is always good to see. Mine will be a rider too, can't wait to get building :) I have some Deore ll mechs coming so will start to think about cranks and wheels soon...

wired99":sar7r8w9 said:
Yours looks cool, a rider is always good to see. Mine will be a rider too, can't wait to get building :) I have some Deore ll mechs coming so will start to think about cranks and wheels soon...

cheers, DeoreII will look good and is pretty easy to get hold of. It's nice to see you have the original stem, I need a silver version for mine, although the T-bone I have is a period upgrade.

You've done well to find a nice one of them, I'm sure a lot more look like this one! ie - ropey!
I was donated this one about a year ago and didn't have the time or inclination, so re-gifted it to someone ........can't remember who :oops:
Bike would have come with XT2 groupset, 6 speed with thumbies as far as I know. Good luck with the build!
GiantSuperSierra003.jpg

Just a quick update.. Battling against time to try and finish this before the Leith Hill ride on Sunday. As you can see I am nearly there!
I have a UBrake on way, some grips, and tyres alos in transit. Decided to keep it as period as I can for the ride then still think I will go chrome, lo-rise look afterwards.
Have added a bit of red here and there to compliment the decals, and am using Deore II as a 'cheaper' option than XT. The wheels were given to me by a neighbour off his old Raleigh and they have come up pretty nice.
Fingers crossed all the parts arrive in time.. :roll:

IMG_0315.jpg

IMG_0309.jpg

IMG_0313.jpg

Latest posts

Back