BBC 1 now, The Flying Scotsman

as a slight side note, i was having a little chat with Chris Boardman yesterday, great down to earth bloke :) and a fantastic bike range

ooooo! check you! well I said hello to Obree the other day :p

Iwasgoodonce":zw4r619g said:
Genetically very few people are able to win the tour. Mark Cavendish & Mario Cipolini have won a lot of stages but unless there is some sort of selective virus going around did not/will not ever win the overall. CB was an outstanding TT/pursuit rider but did not have the DNA to let him do that for three weeks. The athletes' hour he did still ranks in my top five 'top effort' rides. It probably knocked three years off his life span!
One day a British rider will emerge with the necessary Deoxy-Ribonucleaic-Acid.

I remember reading a letter in a magazine a few years back, the chap was asking what sort of training he should do as he wanted to enter the TDF, the reply was genius....

Ride at least 20,000 miles a year for the next five years and you MIGHT finish

A friend of mine who is a very handy triathlete did a stage of the tour a few years back ( on open roads, not the actual race! ) and was absolutley fubared afterwards, he left with a whole load more respect for the tour riders!!!

Tazio":rfm2z2nt said:
If I remember correctly Boardman broke the hour record on a break day from the Tour.
One of the online magazines published that error recently in an article about Obree. I wrote to them with a correction, but they didn't respond, or change the article.

Here's an extract from my letter. The initial quote is from the Obree article:

"That record lasted only a week as Englishman Chris Boardman improved on Obree's effort in Bordeaux, France during a rest day of that year's Tour de France."

A casual reader might form the impression that Boardman was actually competing in the Tour in 1993 when he broke the hour record. The record ride didn't actually take place on a rest day (it was on July 23rd; the rest day had been in the Pyrenees on the 20th) and Boardman didn't ride in the Tour until 1994. The record attempt *was* scheduled for the day of the Tour's arrival in Bordeaux to generate interest in Boardman (who was still an amateur) among professional team managers.

Back