death by dangerous cycling

Should bikes be taxed, insured and licenced?

• yes?

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • no?

• wtf you talkin about, i thought this was about death by wreckless cycling?

• Total voters
Neil":1j1qrkgw said:
Some of me thinks the government should just quit the foreplay, and just make all taxation one single, direct form on any money you get, rather than all the other countless direct and indirect forms it currently takes.

Can't help but think there'd be mucho savings from streamlining.

Ah, but then they'd lose the tax taken on top of other money that has already been taxed. To over-simplify it, of course.

Nathanedmunds":1n5tz364 said:
Couldn't the lessons be done during gym or games for a few weeks instead of football or hockey? For those kids without bicycles the school could supply a bicycle for them.

They do that up here - a 6 week session in primary 6 or 7 all the kids are taken off site to a training centre (college carpark) given bikes and helmets and taught to ride sensibly, unfortunately there is no on road training for "safety reasons" :roll: They are not allowed to use their own bikes as that would involve checking they were ok first.

I think Gibbleking(or someone else) does this down south somewhere too.

Drencrom":1d0qb7al said:
Neil":1d0qb7al said:
Some of me thinks the government should just quit the foreplay, and just make all taxation one single, direct form on any money you get, rather than all the other countless direct and indirect forms it currently takes.

Can't help but think there'd be mucho savings from streamlining.
Ah, but then they'd lose the tax taken on top of other money that has already been taxed. To over-simplify it, of course.
?

My idea was for them to claw all their tax from one direct source. Which is why I said:-
Neil":1d0qb7al said:
But, I suspect, riots when many realise just how much they take.

Right, but I don't see what you're offering by way of comparison. A tax direct from our wages which covers all? So what would happen to VAT for example?

I think neil is suggesting we have no other tax than income tax but our PAYE would be around 60% for this to work. Hence the riots that would follow

Drencrom":1b9v0ico said:
Right, but I don't see what you're offering by way of comparison. A tax direct from our wages which covers all? So what would happen to VAT for example?
It wasn't a 100% serious suggestion, more in the way of countering the concept of hypothecated taxes, and / or indirect taxation.

As I said, previously, ignoring local / council tax, taxation from all the other sources / forms isn't hypothecated. It's collected, piecemeal because of tradition, evolving, um, need, and stealth.

My suggestion of replacing all of that with one direct, taxation, unquestionably fairer, probably simpler to understand, and probably with some streamlining and cost savings - was somewhat tongue-in-cheek, but I'm coming around to the view of it being a better solution.

Well right up to the point that the masses truly recognise how much of their income is clawed back as tax.

VAT is just another means of indirect taxation - and could be factored in - just like any other indirect taxation - to either corporation tax, or personal taxation.

The Ken":ip0ot7qw said:
I think neil is suggesting we have no other tax than income tax but our PAYE would be around 60% for this to work. Hence the riots that would follow
Indeed - that and corporation / business tax.

As you point out, though, once that is overt and direct, I very much suspect many more people would be outraged at how much of their money goes to tax.

It's rather more difficult for that to be easily recognised when so much is taken indirectly or by stealth.

flat rate tax work perfectly well in other european countries, though mostly the in the newer eastern republics (estonia, latvia etc) but they seem to like it. poss thats because the wealth gap is a bit narrower having been commies a few years ago.
it gets talked about every now and again but loopholes always exist, i know plenty of people personally who should be paying 50% but only pay 20-25. if you want to use tax as an economic tool it needs to be flexible and variable, so you would likely end up with poorer people (for who fiddling taxes isnt economically viable) paying more than richer ones percentage wise.
check it out here, but dont believe everything you read :)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flat_tax

more on topic, we had cycling proficiancy at middle school when i was a nipper, but id been riding for a few years before that.
i had a little yellow shopping bike when i was 3 or 4, and wierd thing is when i remember riding it, it feels like a full size bike lol

Back