Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Longun's 1993 Trek 9000

• epptx's 1997 Ibis Hakkalugi

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
GoldenEraMTB":1p62q0yr said:
on another note, if I read one more person write that this is suppose to be "for fun", I'm going to hit myself upside the head with my wireless ergonomic keyboard.
This is supposed to be "for fun".

... and I want pics of the keyboard / head action.
We all understand it is for fun
With respect, I don't believe "We all" understand that at all.

For some, it seems entirely more serious than fun.
and like a weekend bike race amongst amateurs, it can get heated, and bragging rights and so on.
Maybe for those that it gets heated for, perhaps need to cool off a little.

"Lighten up, Francis."
So yes, good fun, but let's not act like it doesn't mean a thing while it is taking place.
There's a difference between it being fun, not too serious, and meaning nothing. That's just that old chestnut, the ocluded middle thing, again.
If we don't get into this thing we do with old mountain bikes, then why even be here.
Getting "into" it, needn't mean being overly serious about what should be a fun, monthly, vote - nor belligerently starting arguments because results aren't going certain ways, or peoples' faves don't triumph.
Strikes me as a bit disingenuous. The same with the guys that claim, "they're just bikes". If one is to not be so literal, it's a bit more than that, no?
Don't lecture on disengenuous.

What is disengenuous is people getting so tense towards the end of a BOTM vote that arguments happen, factions formed, and lines drawn.

It's meant to be fun, open, with no dead certs. And for those that want to bleat on about how it looks and / or appeal to a wider audience, bickering like a load of 8 year olds about what's happening with the vote, or what has won (like has happened in previous months), or what should win, is hardly going to give it credo or kudos to a wider audience - it's just going to make us look like geeky nerds squabbling about whether Picard is as good as Kirk 20 years ago on usenet.

Neil":1fzkg27w said:
That looks passing comment by somebody listing what they like / would vote for, as opposed to somebody saying:-

"It hasn't got pedals on, therefore it shoudln't be in the vote..."

Was there any notable objection until the vote has become so close?

I don't know how close the vote was 4 days ago -- but the issue was raised again on the 26th here:
http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewto ... 04#1067804

And further on the 27th -- even to the extent of StarTrek feeling compelled to respond:
http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewto ... 21#1068921
http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewto ... 64#1069264

halaburt":ha4zut5t said:
Neil":ha4zut5t said:
That looks passing comment by somebody listing what they like / would vote for, as opposed to somebody saying:-

"It hasn't got pedals on, therefore it shoudln't be in the vote..."

Was there any notable objection until the vote has become so close?

I don't know how close the vote was 4 days ago -- but the issue was raised again on the 26th here:
http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewto ... 04#1067804

And further on the 27th -- even to the extent of StarTrek feeling compelled to respond:
http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewto ... 21#1068921
http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewto ... 64#1069264
Were any of those comments actually suggesting it shouldn't be in the vote?

Or were they merely given as reasons for peoples votes / decisions?

When was the first incident of anybody suggesting it shouldn't be part of the vote because of it not having pedals?

Neil":2l6cygyo said:
GoldenEraMTB":2l6cygyo said:
on another note, if I read one more person write that this is suppose to be "for fun", I'm going to hit myself upside the head with my wireless ergonomic keyboard.

Angry-PC-User.gif

Any similarities to persons living, dead or otherwise engaged are purely intentional . . .
whistle.gif

Didn't even notice a lack of pedals :oops: Also didn't know you could view the poll before voting :oops: I obviously don't and will not in the future. If I did I'd probably vote for the one in my top 3 with the least votes.

Good grief.

Close vote indeed and once again passions run high.

First off 'pedalgate'. We do ask all bikes be complete but that is mainly to stop people entering bikes in a half built state. I missed the missing pedals tbh. Perhaps StarTrek could stick some pedals on and take a snap - that way there would be no arguement. Equally if he wants to pull it from the poll he can - would suggest not though. That'd be a hollow victory for whoever eventually took the win.

As for the contest being a 'joke' and this that and the other, get a grip. If you say something over and over it doesn't become true. I don't believe people are registering multiple accounts and if they are, well that's pretty lame. I did offer to try and get stats of votes and new registrations if someone wants to spend an evening cross referencing IP addresses. Nobody took me up on this last time.

Notice once again the controversy has arisen with one of Bushpig's bikes being a front runner. Perhaps the answer is to ban Bushpig from the contest.

Think the tit for tat has to stop now. Will just bin any pointless bickering posted as of NOW.

I voted for Mike's blue Yeti Ultimate.

It's the most iconic Retrobike in the line up (from my era, BITD), and he's built it perfectly IMHO.

Neil":dqi6hrzj said:
GoldenEraMTB":dqi6hrzj said:

We all understand it is for fun
With respect, I don't believe "We all" understand that at all.

For some, it seems entirely more serious than fun.
and like a weekend bike race amongst amateurs, it can get heated, and bragging rights and so on.
Maybe for those that it gets heated for, perhaps need to cool off a little.

"Lighten up, Francis."
So yes, good fun, but let's not act like it doesn't mean a thing while it is taking place.
There's a difference between it being fun, not too serious, and meaning nothing. That's just that old chestnut, the ocluded middle thing, again.
If we don't get into this thing we do with old mountain bikes, then why even be here.
Getting "into" it, needn't mean being overly serious about what should be a fun, monthly, vote - nor belligerently starting arguments because results aren't going certain ways, or peoples' faves don't triumph.
Strikes me as a bit disingenuous. The same with the guys that claim, "they're just bikes". If one is to not be so literal, it's a bit more than that, no?
Don't lecture on disengenuous.

What is disengenuous is people getting so tense towards the end of a BOTM vote that arguments happen, factions formed, and lines drawn.

It's meant to be fun, open, with no dead certs. And for those that want to bleat on about how it looks and / or appeal to a wider audience, bickering like a load of 8 year olds about what's happening with the vote, or what has won (like has happened in previous months), or what should win, is hardly going to give it credo or kudos to a wider audience - it's just going to make us look like geeky nerds squabbling about whether Picard is as good as Kirk 20 years ago on usenet.

Hmmm, was it necessary to chop up my entire post? Did it make it easier to digest? It was painful to read your response, for obvious reasons, and reminds me of a phrase I heard once upon a time: "The British are to a file cabinet as the Americans are to a pot of soup" Neil, perhaps you should leave the arguing to some of your countrymen ;)

IDB1":dqi6hrzj said:
Neil":dqi6hrzj said:

Angry-PC-User.gif

Any similarities to persons living, dead or otherwise engaged are purely intentional . . .
whistle.gif

Spot on! Let the keyboard bludgeoning commence. I'm out, but still have my vote to cast :twisted:

John":3c103wf3 said:
Good grief.

Close vote indeed and once again passions run high.

First off 'pedalgate'. We do ask all bikes be complete but that is mainly to stop people entering bikes in a half built state. I missed the missing pedals tbh. Perhaps StarTrek could stick some pedals on and take a snap - that way there would be no arguement. Equally if he wants to pull it from the poll he can - would suggest not though. That'd be a hollow victory for whoever eventually took the win.

As for the contest being a 'joke' and this that and the other, get a grip. If you say something over and over it doesn't become true. I don't believe people are registering multiple accounts and if they are, well that's pretty lame. I did offer to try and get stats of votes and new registrations if someone wants to spend an evening cross referencing IP addresses. Nobody took me up on this last time.

Notice once again the controversy has arisen with one of Bushpig's bikes being a front runner. Perhaps the answer is to ban Bushpig from the contest.

Think the tit for tat has to stop now. Will just bin any pointless bickering posted as of NOW.

uhoh. I didn't read your post before posting :oops:
okok, as of NOW ;)

I'll volunteer, since I'm a bit unemployed currently :LOL:
or perhaps, a new rule. All members voting must be a member before the poll begins. If not, the new member can vote in the next poll. Don't know if that would be possible to enforce via the software, but it's a thought.

GoldenEraMTB":1pwpoqje said:
uhoh. I didn't read your post before posting :oops:
okok, as of NOW ;)

Lol, ok. Really, as of NOW.

Not a bad idea about users needing a few votes to post.

Back