And today I did......

Today I inflated the tyres on my Cinder Cone, unridden since Blackmount last Easter :oops: Brought it up from the cellar, stared at it in the kitchen for a while, then put it in the hall, where it currently sits. Expectantly.

Nipped down to the man-cave last night after everyone was away to bed and finished truing up my wheel - final stages felt a bit like ever decreasing circles, you true it up laterally, that knocks out the vertical deflection, so you fix that, but that knocks out the lateral, etc, repeat until crippled by sore back or blinded with permanent squint.

'Good enough' is the final verdict, although I'll know for sure when I use it in anger. Alex was spot on when he said use another wheel for reference... Even with referring to a built wheel, I didn't get my head around the spoke pattern until I had to partially de-lace it twice to correct mistakes, although now that I've done it, I think I could do another one without a reference point (although don't ask me to stake any money on it).

Kind of wish I'd splashed a bit more cash and went the whole hog with alloy nips and double-butted spokes... maybe the next wheel :D

Cheeky facker, I'll have you know both sets are still straight and true! Even after you had a go. ZZ well done, you have reached the next stage of bike building satisfaction!

:oops: alas that incident was nothing to do with the spokes or the wheel, when I tried the (spare) tubes at home they were fine, not sure but I think the pump was at fault, or pump operator anyroads.

Completely out of left field this but today I bodged a simple bottle cap sorter. The point being if we receive a bag of loose caps for our fledgeling vaccine we need to ensure they are all right way up to load into the our cap fitting machine (also in development). Cap sorting can be done by hand but employing folk to do stuff in a production facility puts the price up of the final product, it has to be cheap as chips to apeal to our target market ie farmers :roll:

I sometimes think I only loosely work in the field of science. A large machine developed by my boss and I now exists as a professional looking machine in a lab in Australia :cool:

Later today though, I'm going to finish and test run the Raleigh Twenty project :LOL:

Today i helped forge the retro Anglo/American love in out on the forum outwith the Cosy jock one- the natives are very excitable.

Back