Gears are not Working...

Iwasgoodonce

Old School Grand Master
...and I know why. For ages now my bike has been a sort of semi-automatic. Basically it has been changing gear whenever it feels like it and doing odd things like dropping down a gear and a half and getting stuck between gears. Very annoying! I have spent ages adjusting and tweeking the things and had just about written it off to the vagaries of Crapnagolo.
Now I have found this and feel a little silly. The guide is going to need fastening down some how. There is no hole in the BB shell so who knows how the thing was originally attached. Now for some questions:

1. How would it have been held on? It used to shift well.
2. How thick is the BB shell likely to be?
3. Would drilling a pilot hole and then a self tapping screw be best?
4. Assuming a Campag cartridge BB, how huch gap will there be between the BB shell and the BB?

Thanks as always. Pictures:

Attachments

• Naughty Gears#2.JPG
    Naughty Gears#2.JPG
    13.3 KB · Views: 959
  • Naughty Gears#1.JPG
    Naughty Gears#1.JPG
    14.4 KB · Views: 959
At least you've still got it.

I'd guess some kind of glue would work if you can't find any obvious 'proper' fixings. That's what I'd do.

I'm sure somebody with more style has the proper answer though!

Ta Mike. I have scavenged some of the two part glue that they use to attach HAV Tags to tools for use on site. HAV is Hand Arm Vibration so I'm hoping it will set pretty firm! If successful, I'm going to maybe attempt regluing my Alan's forks.

Only if the steerer screws into the crown as well as relying on the glue though! Despite my increasing age, I still think I want some teeth left in my head!!

3M sells double sided tape that is very thin... you could try that... I believe that is how it was attached to start with..

legrandefromage":18mkwk0i said:
glueing might just pull the paint off, is there no guide hole?

No hole present. there was an almost chalky substance in the hole in the plastic part. I have the same fears with the glue taking the paint off. I am using it in a single 60.8 inch gear at the moment.

It's not vital to have this fitting, the cables will run very well just over the surface of the BB shell, especially for the front mech. In fact, doing it this way there's no chance of muck etc. affecting the cable. From your photo it would appear that this is what has been happening anyway and the plastic fitting has been in the way to some degree.

i used the two part glue on mine worked a treat
just made sure i got it in right place!
that stuff bonds for good

Back