99 Specialized Ground Control build

bigmick":2leaecqb said:
Dangermouse":2leaecqb said:
I had the same problem with the bolt but local Bapp store had a flat allen one in stock so 40p later........haha
you still have a shitty a2z adaptor though :p

whos laughing now

me with my 10 quid 2001 enduro seat stay or you with yer hope it holds out a2z adaptor

he he

i've got a proper specialized adpter for mine.
things are like hens teeth though lol.

Khane":1r5q4esf said:
bigmick":1r5q4esf said:
yeah 98 model but i used 2001 seat stay which had bearings installed and betd link
so used top hats from my 2001 s-works and it fits perfect

edit his is a 99 as his decals are stickers and not painted on like mines

the square style is early big hit max backbone

just been checking on bikepedia '99 was a very odd year for the GC FSR.

the Elite & Pro both had the square tubing.
however the Standard & Comp & Expert all had the older rounded tubing.

very odd as the lineage goes of the '99 setup goes.

FSR (round)
FSR Comp (round)
FSR Elite (square)
FSR Expert (round)
FSR Pro (square)

at least this is what i can deduce from the rather poor pics on bikepedia.

alos appologies for hijacking your build thread :oops: i just really like my FSR :D
like everything old stock gets sold 1st then the new ones get sold
so both will be 99

Khane":jw8sodpr said:
bigmick":jw8sodpr said:
Dangermouse":jw8sodpr said:
I had the same problem with the bolt but local Bapp store had a flat allen one in stock so 40p later........haha

whos laughing now

me with my 10 quid 2001 enduro seat stay or you with yer hope it holds out a2z adaptor

he he

i've got a proper specialized adpter for mine.
things are like hens teeth though lol.
yeah i was hunting for one of those and stumble across a enduro stay
won it very cheap

must be less people looking for alternative stays
fits fine and apart from the small rotor performs well

true but being as the frames are all basicly identicle just the bits hanging from them are of a different spec, it's odd that they decided to do that with the lineup.

i'd have gone with the older rounded tubes for the lower spec models and had the square tubed version as the higher end models.

who knows what there thinking was. :roll:

Khane":14pvplea said:
true but being as the frames are all basicly identicle just the bits hanging from them are of a different spec, it's odd that they decided to do that with the lineup.

i'd have gone with the older rounded tubes for the lower spec models and had the square tubed version as the higher end models.

cant speak for other frames but the extreme has a massive head tube

nightmare to find 2nd hand forks for it

strong frame though nice design too

bigmick":bfvgomge said:
Khane":bfvgomge said:

well i think the extreme is the exception to the rule as it has extra gusseting of the headtube.

it was a real b!tch trying to find a steerer for the Judy XLs on mine it's only and 18.5" frame but the forks came on a '99 GC FSR in 17.5" variety and the difference in headtube length must have been about 1.5 - 2" difference.

ended up buying a whole bike just because it had a pair of judy XLCs with a steerer long enough lol :oops:

Khane":ric95gxd said:
bigmick":ric95gxd said:
Khane":ric95gxd said:

well i think the extreme is the exception to the rule as it has extra gusseting of the headtube.

it was a real b!tch trying to find a steerer for the Judy XLs on mine it's only and 18.5" frame but the forks came on a '99 GC FSR in 17.5" variety and the difference in headtube length must have been about 1.5 - 2" difference.

ended up buying a whole bike just because it had a pair of judy XLCs with a steerer long enough lol :oops:
brilliant6 bikes though
i have a 2001 s-works xc and a 2005 stumpy pro and the gc is still my fav bike

couldn't agree more.

but i think we've hi-jacked the thread enough hehe

i also need to get to bed it's nearly 2am >_<

bigmick":3aks8spt said:
Dangermouse":3aks8spt said:

whos laughing now

he he

WHOA hold on with the hostilities mate I was laughing at getting a bolt for 40p not anything else so please dont think I was laughing at you, the only reason its on an A2Z is because the sharkfins are extremely rare and I cant find one and wanted the bike up and running as fast as possible

Back