Interesting?!?

Sorry for going off the thread slightly but when I saw this :(
I probably just dont know the full circumstances but I thought
this read like The Hub and the rest of it getting more of a kicking.
I am aware of that thread to save The Hub (which I signed).

Bike hire
When the new facilities are open, Glentress Peel Bike Hire (operated by Alpine Bikes) will have over 100 bikes available for hire. Bikes are maintained, serviced and replaced regularly, and cycle helmets are available if required.

Glentress Peel Bike Hire will also stock and sell a range of spares, bikes and bike accessories and clothing. For information about hire charges and terms and conditions, see the Glentress Peel Bike Hire website.

Please tell me if Im just talking shite!

Sounds like they are turning GT into a multi activity centre, I hope this doesn't loose the MTB focus too much, drawing too many different groups to one place can make it loose it's "cool" somewhat.

Alpine Bikes are growing rapidly - they must have big investment or a really driven manangement - I reckon the wee Hub didn't stand a chance when faced with that kind of marketing power. They are very much springboarding off all the work that the Hub did to make GT what it is today, sad really but not much of a surprise.

Whinlatter and Grizedale both have "go Ape"s* It`s a franchise thing that requires the FC to put all the equipment in and let a third party(franchisee) run the business for a nominal rent/lease

*as well as bike trails

The Ken":2c4t88ns said:
Alpine Bikes are growing rapidly - they must have big investment or a really driven manangement - I reckon the wee Hub didn't stand a chance when faced with that kind of marketing power.

Owned by Tiso...

The Ken":2c4t88ns said:
Sounds like they are turning GT into a multi activity centre, I hope this doesn't loose the MTB focus too much, drawing too many different groups to one place can make it loose it's "cool" somewhat.

When I mentioned this to another mate he decided that they're turning GT into Disneyland. I agree- The new place is likely to be soulless, Alpine shops certainly are and haven't had any cash from me in many years for that very reason.

Might make the place busier, and with non-mountain biking types - but then the people who drive kiddy-on 4x4s loaded with downhill bikes up to the top car park and spend a day on the "skills area", are hardly what we all think of as "mountain bikers" anyway :evil:

Having said that - I can't see any big changes to a lap of the black no matter how many people anything else attracts so I don't have a problem sharing the forest, or the car park.

Back