7 speed screw on freewheels

GordonB

Retro Guru
Hope someone can help before I potentially waste money! I have a cracking pair of wheels, Campag Record hubs for English thread screw on freewheel, 126mm oln, Mavic Open Pro CD rims, stainless spokes, true as true can be and I want to use them for a rebuild of a beautiful Roberts frame I've just acquired. This is for my wife and she insists that the bike be fitted with brifters, which is no problem as I have a pair of NOS 7 speed Sora brifters.

Question! Has anyone here used a screw on Shimano 7 speed 14 to 28 freewheel with a 7 speed indexed system? I'd be interested to know the exact setup as this would help me sort out what is needed.

Gordon

Paid a visit to Mick Madgett of Diss, doyen of the retrobike components. Bought a couple of "Golden Sun" Taiwanese screw on freewheels, one in 13 to 21 the other 13 to 24, fitted the latter to the Campag hub and built the bike up with 7 speed Sora brifters, Campag 50/34 Mirage chainset and 105 front and rear mechs. The chain length is critical as the 105 rear is a short cage version but it does indeed work! Perfect indexing, although if you are daft enough to use inner front and smallest rear the chain rubs against the inside of the outer chainring teeth. Fortunately, my wife knows not to do that!

Gordon

Back