Build advice. Any Trials riders able to help out?

JeRkY

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
Just purchased a Pace RC250 trials frame, can any one advize me of a suitable period build.

I am guessing M'burns as a default and obviously Magura's but other than that I have never paid much attention to the trials scene.

Any advice appreciated, the frame is not a garage queen, and the money available to the project is minimal. So if advice could be offered on the ultimate trials build and a more realistic option as well, it would be appreciated.

Also, excuse my ignorance, but what does a trials bike become if you stick a set of bouncy forks on it? I have a nice set of RC40's sat here looking for a purpose in life.

Cheers peeps

Rob

You want a high stem, risers, small saddle set as low as possible, maguras, strong bb, around a 32 tooth chainring with a bash guard

Oh yeah, short cage rear mech and a small close ratio cassette

Strong wheels, like bulbs or similar on wide rims.... Irc kujo tyres would also be correct...

long time trials rider here :cool: (unfortunatelly it doesnt reflect my riding)
At first. forget 32 t chainring.
In ninetees there were not trials specific brands for components.
and those few that were made for trials sucked
So basically it was up for anybody to choose the mix of mtb and DH components that worked for him.
Monty and maybe Megamo (the only companies serious about trials bitd) made trials rims that were wider. 39mm for the rear one. But im afraid Pace wouldnt accept it. In that case those first CD Mavic dh rims were popular (forgot the number 521??).
In the back you need road derailleur and cassette. anything you like.
Up front: small chainring 22t and bashguare instead of the big one.
at that time there were some companies making bashguards..or homemede stuff like i did.
rear hub: the only one criterion: number of clicks.
Since 97 there has been one standard: Chris king
before that: anything you found that was better than shimanos 16 clics..
saddle: your choice. Smaller and lighter the better.
Tires: everybodys call. Big in the back but not too heavy. soft compound prefered. upfront: standard xc tire.
Bars: 68-72cm wide dh risers
pedals: bmx/DH platforms or VP double cage if you were more BIU type

What year that PACE frame is exactly?

here are my trials bikes from the past up till now.
in last decade trials has made a big departure from all bike disciplines in terms of bike geomery and parts.

PACE was my dream frame. cool, radical, different..
Its a pitty that (unlike with MTB) once you try modern trial frame, old ones r unridable :cry:
cheers
jan

Attachments

• koxxboxx.jpg
    koxxboxx.jpg
    143.2 KB · Views: 1,436
  • mbk-01[1].jpg
    mbk-01[1].jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 1,436
  • monty.jpg
    monty.jpg
    197.9 KB · Views: 1,436
  • gt_192.jpg
    gt_192.jpg
    113.3 KB · Views: 1,436
nice bikes i would love a go on a trials bike

can i also suggest i9 hubs if you have money
they have a six pawl 3 degree engagement system

Ive never tried I9
Its funny. Im big bike snob and once i encounter the ultimate quallity i worship it.
I had King on my MBK and its a work of art, I loved engagement, i liked BZZZZZZ, but then it got stolen and i bought complete Koxxbox with front freewheel cranks and i hate to say its probably better. Better engagement. MUCH CHEAPER, low matenance.
Im afraid i will not buy king or any other hi end hub again.
:oops:

Yep, on a modern Trial bike you want to use a fixed rearhub (one cog only) and a White Industries freewheel at the front. As said by Jan, the modern Trial bikes (Monty/Koxx) are sooooo much better than the classics, used to ride a 14,5" Zaskar for trials but being 6ft4 it allways felt too short.
Good luck with the Pace though, sure you'll have lots of fun on it :D
Cheers Roy

Concerning fork it depends what you want to do with the bike.
When you want to start learning some trials basics. suspension will not help you.. You can ride suspension with short travel when you know what to do with it but for he beginner i wouldnt.
The best fork for your pace would be rigid Pace trials fork, or Fatty R, or P-bone

Attachments

• d4.jpg
    d4.jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 1,393

Latest posts

Back