BBC 1 now, The Flying Scotsman

Is this moved into 98> because it is a film made in 2006?

The subject of the film are events in 1993.

Just curious, as it seems this is of general interest and more about the riders than the bike.

I don't see road racing success as necessary to prop up legendary ability on the track.

:)

a good film that

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b0 ... _Scotsman/

i particularly like the portrail of the UCI and the way they wreck bike technology and innovation with old boy politics.
also the way it delt with bullying as a kid and the effect it can have in later years.

98-->? if obrees bike turn up on the forum where would you put it?

as for his lack of success on the tour, tour riding needs type of fitness which makes you less capabale in other areas, although yeah timetrialing is probably the most important. how much did indurain or armstong win on the track? (to be honest it could be loads i dont follow track cycling so much lol)
for wiggins, id say his first try was like a guy whos just learned to play chess having a go and doing well cos nobody took him serious, where as his second was like trying to learn to play properly but not being very good.
i got my fingers crossed for him this year, no excuses now.

Good film. I didn't know anything about him before seeing that. I've just been reading up on him. Inspiring and humbling.

passiflora":2j3wd3va said:
:D I think his intiative should have been applauded not slated.

If it had been USA he would have been branded a genuis for building his own homemade bike...and still beating the crap outta Cboardman, who it seems had a lot more funds.

Yep, never gets the credit he deserves for either the bike building or the riding positions he adopted. Just seen as an oddball using washing machine parts totally undermining the reason he used them to begin with.

Why doesn't anyone seem to bother with the hour record anymore? I'd love to see someone like Cancellara taking it on.

didnt hoy have a failed attempt recently? i think the problem is it just takes too much out of you to fit in with a professional schedule.

W W Biffta":1ka2ai97 said:
didnt hoy have a failed attempt recently? i think the problem is it just takes too much out of you to fit in with a professional schedule.

Noted time-triallist Michael Hutchinson certainly did, but didn't succeed, in recent years. Though he did manage to write a damn good (and very funny in places) book based upon the whole experience. A recommended read.

David

Armstrong had toyed with the hour record but the numbers didn't add up.

FWIW Merckx was a great track rider and rode track through the winter as training.

Theres a good interview with Dave Brailsford in Cycle Sport where he talks about the SKY teams performance and his measured opinion of where Wiggins is in his career.

kaiser":cltphdvy said:
Armstrong had toyed with the hour record but the numbers didn't add up.

FWIW Merckx was a great track rider and rode track through the winter as training.

Indeed, a really nasty crash in a motor-paced event at Blois triggering the back problems that plagued him for the rest of his career.

David

Back