Marin 1990 Bear Valley Rebuild - FINISHED !!! PAGE 38 !!!

I think the FBI will be watching this thread as this sort of attention to detail can only be the work of a criminal mastermind :)

Heyas
Ive seen this baby up close, he must never ride it, it is to be hung on the living room wall lol, yes his detail is scary, i think engraving and gold plating is next ;)
Mark

:D I'm sure Marin will be after plans of this....he's made it better than the orginal.

Did he also work on the

Bionic Man & Bionic Women?.

Does he have a white persiuan Cat?... :shock:

:LOL: :LOL:

I think I have said further up this thread - it will get ridden again as I plan on using it for work on nice days, summer evening rides etc :D I am not embarrassed to say that it won't intentionally see rain, mud or salty roads again ;-)

The bike has paid it dues now and has probably seen more 'real' moutain biking than a high proportion of bikes on this site - my outdoor life as a kid was spent walking / scrambling so my parents were quite happy drop us off and trust me (16) and my brother (19) to head off up somewhere fairly major (Snowdon etc). I was never interested and have never done the racing side of moutain biking :D

If we are honest about it, there is better stuff ride off road now anyway ;-)

The Marin will see the top of my local hill again (winter hill) and I will post pics to prove it :D but it wont be up the dirt track, it will go up by the service road for the TV / telecoms transmitters :LOL:

Anyhow, it's getting late so I must go and stroke the pussy ... :LOL:

WD :D

A few of the finishing details were added today :shock: :LOL:

I managed to get it pretty much built last weekend but decided that the front mech wasnt quite up to standard with the rest of the bike :-( shame really as it had been milled out but at least it means I have a nice one to go on the gf's bike :D

NOS and after a bit of polishing to bring up the dulled alloy :

DSC06319.jpg

I wanted another 735 as A) it's what it had BITD and B) I was worried about matching the shape of the clamping mark on the seat tube :? As it turned out there was noting to worry about as the lining was unmarked when I removed the old mech :shock:

Almost a shame to put end plugs in :

DSC06326.jpg

The berts caused a bit of a problem actually getting end plugs to fit :? Lucky I had two types of Onza's and they were both different plug types / designs. The logo type fitted the bar ends perfectly and the larger porcupine type fitted the bars better as they have a smaller 'fir tree' on the back. They suit the grips perfectly to :cool:

NOS Tange fork stickers I have had from new supplied by Marins importers BITD :

DSC06335.jpg

I stuck the shark fin on using some 'extra sticky' Tessa tape and it's stuck good enough to make me wonder about not even adding a cable tie through the cut out :

DSC06331.jpg

I have never liked the big cable loop on rear mechs so after researching those cog hog things I have gone down the 'noodle' route. I had to mod the xtr cable end but it fits perfect now and retains the xtr o ring sealing :D not finished / fully adjusted yet but this should give you the idea :

DSC06309.jpg

If it works as I hope there will be zero cable rub and very direct / short cable routing :D For those thinking of doing the same, use Shimano noodles - avid don't bend as nicely, even with a mini pipe bender ;-)

With everything on it as it will be ridden - bottle cage etc (including excess cable and the third hand chain tool) I weighed it and me on the digi scales and then just me - three times each and three identical readings. I was quite surprised, any guesses ?

Just the gears to adjust now :D I have mounted my old bike mount on the back fence (after a few mods :LOL:) so I am hoping for a nice sunny day soon ... :cool:

WD :D

What a superb build!

With all that cleaning and that mirror finish polishing, aren't you afraid of getting it dirty and dulling the finish once out of the house?

I know I would be :LOL:

Looking forward to the finished pictures.

Back