Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Hate 'em

• Don't care

• Never heard of them

• Total voters
Let's be honest, they are and always were just mass produced mtb's like all the others, rolling off production lines along side Rockhopper's and Palisades Trail's, but they did make stock Specialized's and Marin's et al look outdated overnight with the launch of the first range.

I know that geometry was already being used by people like Brodie (seem to remember a similarly shaped Wessex Blue Mountain in about '86 - and look at those Cunninghams) but mass market wise, they were a breath of fresh air.

And it's those simple sloping steel ones I have to say, I like the look of a lot.

I think they do get a bit too much mythical status over say a Rockhopper of similar vintage, and Gump's right, many of these 'classics' are just base model steel mass produced bikes, but many Konas are nice none the less.

I don't care that much, but i do want one.

:D

looove the 90`s steel, titanium...and even some of the alu`s...
later years, a bit boring, ....but every year they still produce a frame i want... as the humu-, unit, ..700c sutra and this years kapu steel racer...

Attachments

• kona-kapu-08.jpg
    kona-kapu-08.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 1,006
Loved the original 89 Explosif and Cnder Cone with their splatter paintwork.

Kona's ride great - but I don't care about them. Give me a DBR anyday....

MadCowKev":1axq4b97 said:
Loved the original 89 Explosif and Cnder Cone with their splatter paintwork.

Kona's ride great - but I don't care about them. Give me a DBR anyday....

These were the ones i always remember....

Even the bottom end ones had awesome splatter paint..

New ones nahh!

But then that RETRO orange racer is fantastic ;)

Joe":1lth5a2u said:
actually - I ought to qualify my statements - the ti and steel Konas are nice, their modern alu frames do nothing for me

My sentiments exactly. :D

I ride a steel Kona and love it – would also love a Ti Kona too :roll:

Mark

:D :D :D

Think hate would be a bit strong, but don't particularly like them or the ride they give
Didn't have to think very long about whether to sell the Explosif or the M2 Stumpy.
Can't see the point in owning a bike just to say i have one when you don't actually enjoy riding it or am i missing the whole point

I think if I'd had one BITD I may have a soft spot for them now but I didn't so I don't. I had a Kileaua about a year ago but not for long - nice enough bike but not really special (for me).

It's interesting that 'the Kona issue' seems to be a recurring theme and I'm fascinated that the Kona/P2 v Fat/BOI Poll is closely run so far.

well said ameybrook. great bikes, look good, ride good.

i always thought scott and trek were a tad naff too bitd, but then i got a trek bruiser for a larf a few yrs ago, stuck some bombers on it, and it was shthot. bottom of the range bits (alivio - tasty) but did me 4 yrs 'owt problem.

then i got a second hand scott voltage YZ0 last year, single-speeded it, and i have to say it is bombproof, fast and light.

just goes to show that a name isn't everything.. i mean, who'd have thought a peugeot puma would be cool now, when it was laughed at 18 years ago?!! :roll: ;)

Back