Are you a feeder or a user?

Rotwild 1

Retro Guru
Feedback
View
I have some thing of a confession, i have just bought a new bike and so planning on selling my old one.
now hear me out, i do like old bikes, honestly i do, but my ownership of a 1998 Rotwild RFR01 was more due to the point that back in the days its what i always wanted, so i bought one third hand about 7 years ago and have been very happy.
now i am not a retro bike purest, i have what i believe is called a hot rod, modern wheels, forks and shok, brakes bars, almost everything apart from the frame, and i sold all the old bits here, as i knew someone out there would want them.
now here is my dilema, my new bike, is a Rotwild X1. is 2010 and wonderful, i got it for a complete bargin. so what do i do with the RFR01?
do i keep it as a frame on a wall, do i strip it off and sell the new bits or keep them to go onto hardtail, (Thinking Cotic soul)
shoudl i keep the whole thing or sell it off.
as i said i am not really into old bikes, i love to ride, i will ride anything but i do not have enough time available to ride old bikes, i want to ride my shiney new ones.
my worst decision i ever made was selling of a 1998 GT Karakoram frame for a 1999 Avalanche frame, something a still regreat but then everyone wanted alu at the time.
so as i have no time for retro biking should i just acept the fact that i am a feeder, not a user and continue supplying committed retro bikers with parts they want whilst i loon around on my modern kit.

Sounds like you just like bikes. Nothing wrong with that! Do what YOU want to do with the bike.

Some people like old bike's, some people like old car's... I saw a guy a few weeks ago outside my workplace in Plymouth riding a penny farthing (honestly!!!)

Personally I like more modern, but I can appreciate an older design, and let's be honest, there isn't 'that' much that can be changed about linking two wheels together in the lightest usable way possible.

I recently test rode a 1998 KHS Alite 4000. Really was a fantastic bike, but would have needed a fair bit of maintenance to get it back on it's feet. In some way's I regret not buying it, and other's I don't (I went with a 2008 Scott Sportster P3 as my aim was commuting).

I think retro can offer good value for money if a bike has been maintained well, and also that you feel better restoring a classic :)

hmmmm

New bike Vs Old bike

in my opinion there all as good as each other i have both and love them equally but i will admit i spend vastly more time swearing at my older bikes and the stress they cause is unreal.

nothing in biking has changed much as the last guy says its two wheels linked.

still i look at the whyte prts1 and the cannondale lefty with suspicion and distrust still would have one though so i think that it is bikes like these that make the difference

go with your heart

I'd strip down your old bike and either re-use or sell on the parts, but keep the frame. Who knows you may not have time or inclination for retrobikes now but in the future, who knows?

If you have the frame you will always have the posibility of an interesting project!

Back