headset removal

GT-Steve":1oei71j8 said:
I use a copper pipe thats about an inch OD, and rest it against the lip of the race that is to be removed, then some sharp blows at regular points around the race, just to dislodge it... Then just a gentle tap or two will get them out without them flying out and damaging.

As has been said, make sure you clamp the frame nicely, and the reason I use copper - soft metal with rounded edges just to reduce any chances of scoring... which you'll more then likely get with a screwdriver... ;)

this is about the diamter of the seat tube and it wont budge, frame is nice and secure on the rack.
Looks like i will have to buy a tool
LBS said he couldnt give me a price over the phone he would need to see the 'job'. Rather just get a tool

i saw plans for a homemade one on the net the other day, it was basically a length of copper pipe with a cross cut down into it (cuts about 4" long) and a wine bottle cork stuffed inside it to splay the arms a tad for better grippage!

failing that, my method of a hardwood wedge (I used oak yesterday) and a 16oz claw hammer and tap / ruddy good clubbing at 0, 90, 180 & 270 degrees tends to get it shifted.

if it won't budge, give it a liberal spray with wd40, plusgas or similar inside and let it soak in then try again.

Take the stripped frame to the bike shop,they'll charge you about a fiver i'd reckon.
If you must do it diy then better to go easy.Try a piece of hardwood[ive used part of a brush handle]this will at least soften the blows and prevent the cup ends being heavily damaged.
Tap it one side then the other,like a clock face :? 12 then 6 then 9 then 3 etc etc
Paraffin works well in loosening stuck things :)

Back