Tyre Advice needed

lastpubrunner

Retro Guru
Hi All,

I'm looking for a pair of tyres for Mavic Open Pro wheels on a Raleigh 753 frame.

I don't do many miles on my bikes; but what I would like, are tyres which are pretty resistant to punctures, decent grip, not overly heavy and not too difficult to fit.

I ride entirely on country roads; I do perhaps 2 or 3 'reliability' runs a year and don't race.

I'm considering getting Continental Grand Prix 4 Seasons - they ain't cheap, but since I don't do many miles, might they be a suitable choice ?

Ta for any opinions/advice

I agree with your choice of GP 4 season - I reckon to get around 1500 miles from one on the back. Gator Skins are good too.

I'd deffo agree with the gatorskins, for the mileage you do I'd say the cost of buying them outweighs any insignificant benefit from the 4 seasons.
I use rigid 25s for my everyday bike loaded and unloaded and they'll do 45mph perfectly fine and corner decently too. You could probably go for folders in 23s (220g same as the 4seasons) if you wanted but the 25s go up to 120psi anyway.
They have the slightly older version for £20 at wiggle http://www.wiggle.co.uk/continental-ult ... road-tyre/ these are the Ultra gatorskin (newer ones are referred to as just gatorskin) I've got both and there's no difference apart from the lettering on the side.

Latest posts

Back