Project No.8.5: alpinestars cro-mega LX ‘Wildthing’ FINISHED

Wildthing Update:

Decals

Gil now has the '92 decals on file thanks to the efforts of Tim Davies in photocopying an original set for me. So if you are after a set for any '92 model drop Gil_m a pm, as many will agree Gil's decals are first rate. Here is a low resolution proof of what's been achieved.

92CroMegaLXsm1.jpg

I'm after a set doing in 'greyscale' to make them a little more subtle on this bright frame. Hopefully Gil will get some proofs over to me later in the week.

Bars

My original plan for this build was to go with alpinestars 'MEGA-LITE' bars with a pair of bar ends on this build. Problem being the bars are badly faded and look almost purple instead of black. I tried repainting them, but they just look a bit naff so i've had a rethink.

On my cro-mega SS I have a set of Scott AT-4 pro bars fitted and they are fantastic. So I thought i'd find another pair and give them a go on this build, GT-Steve soon obliged with a set. A real bargain at just £12 and perfect for the build.

The bars were in desperate need of paint mind and the wrong size for my alpinestars 28.0mm diameter stem. I set to work removing the aluminium shim that takes the bar from 22.0mm to 25.4mm. I decided the shim had to go as I'm using the alpinestars 28.0mm stem, I then bought a USE seat post shim that was 6mm thick to take the bars upto size and modified it.

2011_0323astarWT0005.jpg

Alpinestars stem shimmed to accept the 22.0mm bars

After rubbing back, priming and eventually painting, the bars have made it to the state shown below.

2011_0323astarWT0012.jpg

Wildthing AT-4 bars

They are just drying now and will get lacquered tomorrow. You might think it odd me going to the effort of hand painted the bars when they will get covered with bar tape and grips when fitted but I have a cunning plan here, clear tape and grips!

2011_0323astarWT0014.jpg

Clear grips and tape to make the bars visable

Just to get an idea of what all the black will look like against the colour of the frame I teased myself by fitting the seat clamp and post.

2011_0323astarWT0009.jpg

It's coming together, if somewhat slowly!

Wow :shock:

This is superb Mark, can't wait to to see it completed :cool: I would never have the patience for this kind of detail, fair play to you.

My questions is what will you be wearing when you ride this :LOL:

Wildthing Update

Bars

Today I managed to fit the bars, brake levers and grips. The bars went on without any issues, they just required a lot of patience and a rag inside the stem clamp to prevent damage.

The brake levers were a proper pain, I got them on in the end but damaged the bars paint in a couple of places. I guess i'll be touching up the bars as my next job! The brake levers are M-560 Deore LX rapid-fire units and are a proper nuisance to fit to Scott AT-4 bars!

The grips were an even bigger pain though. I usually just cover the bar and the grips with brake and parts cleaner and they just slide straight on, but not today. I ended up resorting to WD-40 which worked fairly well, I've normally stayed well clear of using WD-40 as leaves a residue but the grips feel nice and secure so might use it again in the future.

The bar tape will be fitted once the touching up is done. The tape is from a company called Deda and is their 'glass' variety, designed to show off carbon bars.

2011_0325astarWT0014.jpg

2011_0325astarWT0012.jpg

2011_0325astarWT0006.jpg

2011_0325astarWT0008.jpg

2011_0325astarWT0010.jpg

2011_0325astarWT0002.jpg

Not much point in anyone going up against this in BoTM really - may as well just hand the title over in advance that month... :LOL:

Those AT-4's really have come up well, and yes they are an absolute pig to get any kind of brake levers or shifters on to..

particularly impressed with how the bridge part has come-up

Latest posts

Back