Planet X Kaffenback (modern content)

otherself

GT Fan
Raleigh Fan
Feedback
View
Not retro but I'd thought I'd submit it here. This is my new winter/springtime road bike. Will also serve cyclocross duties. I've admired the Kaffenback for many years, largely due to their versatility as a road bike/cyclocrosser and tourer all rolled into one. I bought the frame in January 2011 when Planet X were shipping them out for the crazy price of just £99.99 (down from an RRP of £169.99). Really hasn't cost much to build up, largely due to already having most of the parts. Going for the retro look; brown saddle and bar tape, skinwall tyres, bar-end shifters etc.

Full bike update pics and spec to come.

5509896272_90a4c74211_z.jpg

5509296553_0102af135c_z.jpg

5509296143_3df1997cc6_z.jpg

5509949948_dbbe2cb24c_z.jpg

5537229205_f909caf6d3_z.jpg

The beige and brown will look good.

Just a thought, but I've never found aero levers to work that well with v brakes, even the aero levers that are 'v specific'.

ededwards":398z4b5a said:
The beige and brown will look good.

Just a thought, but I've never found aero levers to work that well with v brakes, even the aero levers that are 'v specific'.

They are the v-specific Tektro RL520 costing £17.00 the pair. Aghhh well... I'll have to wait and see how they perform.

How do 'normal' drop bar brake levers work with cantilever brakes, do you know?

otherself":nqyocj86 said:
How do 'normal' drop bar brake levers work with cantilever brakes, do you know?

Absolutely fine (same with STis and Ergos) - it's the cable pull that does for you with v brakes.

Got the very same bars and seat post on my road bike! Bars are excellent, whilst the only gripe I have about the otherwise brilliant post is that the front adjustment nut on the clamp is a little fiddly/inaccessible - really needs a small, thin spanner.

David

That looks great. I didn't know much - well, anything - about PLanet X until a few months ago, inspite of them being based about 15 minutes away from my mum and dad's house in the mighty Rovverum, but they have some really interesting looking stuff knocking about in thei big bike shed. Is that the same frame design that's used in the Il Pompino?

Keep them pictures coming, I'm really looking forward to seeing this built up.

kaffenback

:D fantastic frames for the price,i raced one in the scottish cyclocross series a few years a go! Loved it.. then winter milage duties. Jack of all trades that :D

[/code]

Back