Sourcing wheels compatible with Raleigh T1 531 Competition

JonG33

Retro Newbie
Hi, I'm hoping someone can give some advice to a newbie.

I recently purchased a 1979 Raleigh T1 531 Competition and have discovered it has Mavic wheels which require tubular tyres. But I'd like to change these to wheels which accept proper clincher tyres.

My local bike shop says that they can't source the wheels as the rear cogs are an old Campagolo 6 speed.

So I would think I will need to buy some 2nd hand wheels via ebay. But what am I particular looking for? It all seems so technical :(

In the meantime I'm opting for fresh Continental Giros tubs and will give them a go over the summer. Fingers cross I get no punctures!

Find out which wheel size, 27" or 700C, it'll be marked on the tyres if not the wheels as well. Some older frames designed for 27" wheels have problems with 700C in so far as the rear brake drop isn't sufficient for the pads to reach the braking surface.

Also check the distance between the dropouts where the axle sits. It might be 126mm or even less.

If you intend to reuse the Campagnolo sprockets check to see if it is Italian threaded. If so you'll be limited as most of the screw on hubs over here at least had british threading. Many were marked BSC or A1 IIRC.
Might be best to go with a set of clinchers with a british threaded rear hub then you'll have a decent choice of rear sprockets.

If they're tubs now they'll be 700c.

Two options:

1. Have the hubs rebuilt onto some clincher rims. Basically the only requirement is that the rims have the same number of holes as your hubs.

2. Find yourself a replacement pair. You'll need Campag (presuming you want to keep everything in charachter) hubs threaded to take a freewheel (not a cassette). Very likely 126mm OLN. On clincher rims. Thats about it really.

British and Italian threaded freewheels were often interchanged as the threads are so similar. So you should be okay with your current hubs.

IIRC if you put an italian threaded freewheel onto a british threaded hub that then can't be re-used for a BSC freewheel as the threads on the hub will be changed so a BSC freewheel would be too loose :?:

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the overnight responses.. RetroBike provides a follow-the-sun support model! :p

I'm definitely pleased I asked as it is a bit technical but I think I have the info now to make a purchase in the future.

I dropped the bike off this morning for its new tubulars so we'll see how we go with that for now. Hopefully no punctures and long walks back to the house and then more outlay on tyres. I've read posts on repairing tubs with car tyre repair so I'll try that if the worst happens.

Thanks again!

Back