NEED HELP WITH TVT CARBON LEMOND TEAM Z BIKE

fiks":bwuvx0fa said:
1989 Campagnolo rear deraileur was the old fashioned type with the same basic shape as Nuovo/Super Record, not the modern dropped parallelogram type.

So...probably 1990, not 1989.
:?: :?: :?:

the correct rear derailleur shape is the one Lemond Fan posted. The only thing I can see that is potentially wrong with his derailleur is the missing cutout at the top of the outer cage. I'll need to check catalogues to confirm, but either his derailleur is earlier than 1990, or it's a Chorus/Athena one, not C-Record.

Next thing...
picture of the time pedals.

They are dirty from years of storage. I reckon they'll clean up nicely though.

Next thing...
ANTHO, you have a great bike collection. I like the period 92-94, and mainly collect around that era. It was the era of introduction of the Campag Look clipless pedal, the cartridge bottom bracket, double pivot brakes, Ergopower, Shamals, and lots more. I notice you have a Red Colnago Master with a crankset that has been milled and filled with enamel in the Italian flag colours. Interesting crankset. I remember seeing one sold by Ebây seller triall11trial, and then resold by seller CampagnoloSR. Apart from that one it's the only one I've seen. I plan to make a replica version on a milling machine, but if you can tell me anything about the history of your one, or that pattern, I'd be very interested.

Toff":1h9f2w0k said:
fiks":1h9f2w0k said:
1989 Campagnolo rear deraileur was the old fashioned type with the same basic shape as Nuovo/Super Record, not the modern dropped parallelogram type.

So...probably 1990, not 1989.
:?: :?: :?:

the correct rear derailleur shape is the one Lemond Fan posted. The only thing I can see that is potentially wrong with his derailleur is the missing cutout at the top of the outer cage. I'll need to check catalogues to confirm, but either his derailleur is earlier than 1990, or it's a Chorus/Athena one, not C-Record.

I've just looked at photos from the 1990 Tour, and rear mech is the modern dropped parallelogram type. What year did Campagnolo go to 8 speed? I think 8 speed needs the dropped parallelogram to work.

The only things that might indicate that the bike is not 1990 is the seat tube transfer does not mention the 1989 Tour win. My guess is that they used old transfers made before the 89 win, either by mistake or just to use up old stock.

thank you for the picture to refer too. Now using that picture as it is 1990, the tvt says "tvt92" on top tube, also the lugs are stamped tvt. My lugs are not stamped and frame doesnt have tvt92 on top tube...keep in mind this all tvt have tvt stickers clearcoated my tvt stickers are and lemond stickers are not, so knowing this my bike never had tvt on top tube the top tube is orig and flawless so i dont think it was removed for any reason. If it was not for the non stamped lugs...and the tvt92 sticker it would be easy, however some how it seems like i have a very early 90 or a very late 89, the bikes sold in the usa i think did get the lemond and z stickers put on here at 10 speed drive imports. If team z only used this paintjob it may be possible that tvt sent 89tvts to the usa with that paint?????..I do know this of all the tvts ive found on the web the all as a 90 and up have tvt on the lugs. LOVE THIS BIKE HATE THIS ISSUE:)

Posted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 4:43 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I bought the Z Team TVT from a collector in France, and he had a connection in the team. The nice thing with it is that Ronan Pensec has seen the bike that I now own, and acknowledged that it was his and he used it in the 89' Tour...Other than the drop-in bars, the bike is as Ronan had it.

I also own Stefan Schmacher's 2007 Tarmac SL2 Gerolsteiner bike; that would have been worth a lot one day had he not been a cheating git!

I found this post and it shows the collectors bikes, hes says the z bike is from 89 and verified by a team rider, it was riden in the 89 tour....?????????lemond was on adr was z riding lemonds in 89, was z a team in 89, this whole thing is nuts..

I bought the Z Team TVT from a collector in France, and he had a connection in the team. The nice thing with it is that Ronan Pensec has seen the bike that I now own, and acknowledged that it was his and he used it in the 89' Tour...Other than the drop-in bars, the bike is as Ronan had it.

There was a Z team in 1989 and Pensec was in it but not Lemond, however they rode Peugeots.

T_1713.jpg

===================================
This is apparently Pensec's actual Tour bike:
Ronan Pensec rode this Z Team bike in the Tour de France
from http://www.campyonly.com/retrobikes/gallery.html

http://www.campyonly.com/images/retrobikes/2005/VELO_TVT_LEMOND_Z_16.JPG
http://www.campyonly.com/images/retrobikes/2005/VELO_TVT_LEMOND_Z_55.JPG

No mention of which year, but I would think 1990.

It's quite easy to find out what the pros rode, just look at magazine photos. What gets sold to the public as team replicas may not be exactly the same as the actual team bikes.

this is why Im having such a hard time dating my bike and the sticker set. Its very hard to get accurate answer when the 1990 bike looks like the Ronans bike all the tvt on here do, and they all have the dual tour wins on the seat tube, mine does not and I do not have the tvt92 sticker on top tube, the only thing that might make sense is this. When gregg was announced to Z early in 1990 tvt had 89 frames and painted them to sent to the USA to be stickered at 10-speed drive imports(ther only importer of tvt at the time) and they used GL stciker set from 89 with some z stickers..............I really do need help on this!

pigman":3gjjmhh0 said:
sorry for sounding flippant, but just gerronit and ride it

Nahh don't ride a 20 year old unridden NOS bike. It should be kept for display, get another bike (the same but in used condition) for riding.

tvtcarbon, I own a tvt the same as yours painted in the Z lemond colours. I brought the frame from new in 1990. The frame took ages to arrive after ordering and I was told this was due to a dispute between TVT and the team over using Lemonds name on the frames, don't know how true this is.
My frame arrived with the TVT92 sticker on the top tube together with another sticker saying Team 90 but no Z team stickers. The lugs are also likes yours with no engraving.
It also came supplied with a carbon seat pin.

exellent information! thank you. I would love to see your bike, as to all on here I would like to see these bikes. I am finding out very crazy things about this bike the more I dig. Its easy if you own a true 1990 and up, but the early ones are a mess. The information most of us or all need is this. Such as my bike and unlike newer ones, my frame may be a true 1989 and was at ten spped drive imports in the US(anyone know someone who worked there?????) and the group is 89(I think) after gregs team was announced the old tvts that were left over from 89 were painted and stickered with 89 stickers(only has 86 tour win on it).Which would mean the bikes were paintedearly 90 or late 89 and the lemond sticker set that had the 89 win on it had not been made yet. So it would appear old bikes with old stickers got new team paint jobs.

Heres a question does your tvt92 sticker lay under the clear coat. This is why I ask. If your tvt stayed in europe my bike should of looked like yours. A bike from ten speed drive imports had a history of getting repainted with dupont paint, possible my sticker was removed or not installed due to being an export to USA.

Anyone have thoughts on this??

also today i got the "scott" 3t stem for the restore..needs work!

Back