46er for MiniKen

son look sto have bags of confidence. good on him and goon on you for putting thought into the build.

prefer your technique though!

I would like to find a retro-steed for my son - he is 8 - would be great to find a decent older bike, as the modern bikes seem such a waste of money in comparison. I don't think that I have an adequate knowledge of parts etc to build something up from scratch - but maybe this would be a good way to learn!? Any Tips.

By the way Ken - was that your Mini - Orange I saw on another post? Now that is an inspiration - top marks!

Miles

The Orange was ClockworkGaz's - it is stunning, and a lot of work from a dedicated father.

Building from scratch was easy, buying second hand 24" wheels is the biggest minefield, I had more than one I had to return and in the end got it build up by Big Eck in macretro.
Cranks are also a hard find if you want style or retro, in the end I just got standard kids cranks from my local shop - they ordered them in.
The rest of the bike is a breeze you just buy sale parts or second hand, alivio stuff is so much better than the standard kids fair and isn't that expensive - pennies second hand as not many aspire to it.

cyfa2809":6zglfv6o said:
is it possible that his stem is slightly too long?

I'm sure the Ken can clue us in, but in the picture I think you are getting that impression from, looks like mini Ken is getting his weight rearward, if you compare the one where he is getting air, geometry looks spot on

Hydorah is right I taught him to get his weight (not the phrase I used :) ) over the back wheel on drop offs, that slope is steeper than it looks but he is over doing it a bit.
Geometry is bang on for him, I was really please with the way it turned out as it is really balanced in the air.

Latest posts

Back