9 speed cassette on 7 speed hub

Tel

Gold Trader
Feedback
View
I've got an old 7 speed Shimano HG cassette but some of the teeth have worn making the chain skip. Is it possible to use a nice shiny 9 speed cassette on the freehub body by removing 2 sprckets and using the 7 speed spacers?

Actually I think I have a spare 9 speed (or 8 ) I'll give it a go....and it worked.

Although straight forward I took some pics along the way anyway:

Original 7 speed:
P1080072.jpg

9 speed with smallest cog missing making it an 8 and useable in a 126mm OLN spacing:
P1080076.jpg

P1080077.jpg

9 speed SRAM cassette with Shimano 7 speed spacers and 2 cogs removed:
P1080086.jpg

Only modification I had to make was cutting the lugs of the Shimano spacers:
P1080083.jpg

And obviously I could not reuse the bolt that held the 9 speed cassette as it was too long, so just fitted without.

Few more pictures here: http://s597.photobucket.com/albums/tt55 ... %20to%207/

But as I said very straight forward.

You'll need to be more specific I can't actually see what you are trying to highlight.

Anyway enough of the theory.

I just tried a 9 speed Sram cassette on my old Shimano 600 Ultegra 7 speed HG freehub and it fits fine. Interstingly you can actually have 8 cogs on there and just use the lockring (i.e miss out the smallest, loose, cog). Tempted to leave it this way and gain an extra gear, although I need a 9 speed chain. So the next step will be to remove the spacers and a sprocket from the 9 speed and replace them with the 7 speed spacers from the Shimano which in theory will give me a nice new, widely available, 7 speed cassette.

as long as you can dismantle the cassettes and play with the spacers you should be able to make something useable,the splines are the same. i read your first question as can i buy a 9 speed cassette and put it on a 7 speed freehub,pretty sure u cant do that..

Done and done. I now have a new 7 speed SRAM cassette. Works great.

Well worth keeping in mind for future projects as I often get completely shot cassettes.

Also worth keeping in mind the 9 speed cassette used as an 8 on a 126mm OLN hub. This will mean you can have 8 speed STI set up using 9 speed kit without having to spread the drops each time.

stew-b":2bawlghk said:
i read your first question as can i buy a 9 speed cassette and put it on a 7 speed freehub,pretty sure u cant do that..

Stew-b please pay more attention :p

And no you can't fit an 8, 9 or 10 on a 7.

Ah yes but that was only to change:

Actually I think I have a spare 9 speed (or :cool: I'll give it a go....

to

Actually I think I have a spare 9 speed (or 8 ) I'll give it a go....

You should have noticed that and that it reads the same otherwise. Keep up! :D ;)

Back