Eddy Merckx Titanium AX

Can you find one for me too?

At the same price - or less?

;) :roll:

Jammy (and lucky!) so-and-so :D

Enjoy it!

garethrl":1n2hpjnp said:
As well as being fugly the headset ids loose and the flats are a bit mangled so it's had its day.

Personally I think the A9's a good, neat, value-for-money headset but this one doesn't seem to have been looked after all that well, and the huge stack of spacers/washers looks peculiar. If you want to stick with roller rather than ball bearings, the Miche Primato headset (looks vaguely like the old Mavic 305) might be a good bet?

David

Speechless. :shock: I'd missed the thread in the other forum, God knows how you kept a straight face collecting that beauty.

I was pleased with my mediocre Bianchi for £150, not so now :(

Will :)

I fully agree that the A9 is a thoroughly decent good value headset, but this one's past its best for certain. By 'fugly' I was referring to the huge stack of mis-shapen spacers and obvious damage. Nothing can be done with this one, but replace.

I'm looking for a nice replacement and have pretty much settled on NOS Campag. I guess that a Merckx of this era would use a British threaded HS and not Italian? BB is Italian but that might not mean anything as far as the HS is concerned.

Cheers, Gareth.

David B":17g5thhq said:
garethrl":17g5thhq said:
As well as being fugly the headset is loose and the flats are a bit mangled so it's had its day.

Personally I think the A9's a good, neat, value-for-money headset but this one doesn't seem to have been looked after all that well, and the huge stack of spacers/washers looks peculiar. If you want to stick with roller rather than ball bearings, the Miche Primato headset (looks vaguely like the old Mavic 305) might be a good bet?

David

Sorry for taking my time to get back, I only just really registered your question ... :oops:

The cable routing seems as though it's a small plate that fits between the head tube and lower bearing cup, but I won't know for sure until I get the lower cup out. I'm shopping for a headset now so will confirm eventually following a transplant.

Cheers,
Gareth.

Ally":xwc0me1l said:
Nice one!

I was following the developing story with interest. Really glad your expectations were met, it looks great.

I think the forks look good on it, just the headset and stem to sort and tie it all together so-to-speak.

How is the down-tube cable guides attached? Is that a plate thing as part of the headset? Never seen that before.

What else are you planning for it?

Ha, Titanium for that price, lucky you :)

Just needs the headset sorted out (is that an adapter they're using? the stack looks strange...) and stack and off you go!

The thread that came back from the dead!

The Merckx is vastly changed from the photos here. I really must take some photos and update the thread ....

Cheers,
Gareth.

garethrl":31huzyv5 said:
The thread that came back from the dead!

The Merckx is vastly changed from the photos here. I really must take some photos and update the thread ....

Cheers,
Gareth.

go on then !

Only four year later than promised ...

Attachments

• P1020127.JPG
    P1020127.JPG
    98.3 KB · Views: 700
  • P1020126.JPG
    P1020126.JPG
    90.3 KB · Views: 700
  • P1020128.JPG
    P1020128.JPG
    94.9 KB · Views: 701
Pretty much Trigger's Bike - only the frame and BB remain from when I bought her!

Still, it's been a lot of fun putting her together, and it's even more fun riding around with the sun on my back.

Cheers,
Gareth.

New build details:

Frame: Eddy Merckx Titanium AX built by Litespeed from 3Al/2.5V Ti; 56x56cm

Fork: NOS Eddy Merckx steel, tubing unknown, 1" threaded steerer

Headset: Campagnolo Record 1" threaded
Stem: Cinelli Grammo 100mm
Handlebar: Profile Ergo drop, 26.0mm clamp
Bar Tape: Marckx branded grey cork ribbon, aftermarket Merckx end-plugs

Brake Levers/Brifters: Campagnolo Chorus 10-speed Ergopower (2nd generation)
Brake Calipers: Campagnolo Record dual pivot
Brake Pads: Campagnolo, prob original
Brake Cables: Campagnolo, non-original

Shifters: Campagnolo Chorus 10-speed Ergopower (2nd generation)
Front Derailleur: Campagnolo Record, 34.9mm band
Rear Derailleur: Campagnolo Chorus 10-speed
Derailleur Cables: Campagnolo, non-original
Cassette: Campagnolo Record 10-speed
Chain: Campagnolo Record 10-speed
Cranks: Campagnolo Record 5-arm 135mm PCD
Chainrings: Campagnolo Chorus 53-39T
Bottom Bracket: Campagnolo, presume Chorus
Pedals: Look Keo, Merckx-branded

Rims: Mavic Open Pro 32H
Hubs: Campagnolo Record 10-speed
Hub Skewers: Campagnolo Record
Nipples: alloy
Spokes: d/b steel, make TBC
Tyres: Continental GP 4 Season, 25mm
Tubes: Continental

Saddle: Charge Knife Ti
Seatpost: Syncros Ti
Seatpost Binder: Campagnolo

Bottle Cage: Eddy Merckx (manufacturer TBC)
Bottle: Eddy Merckx (manufacturer TBC)

Back