1992 Gary Fisher Montare E-stay

Retro_Roy

BoTM Winner
Feedback
View
hi all
this ebay purchase off fellow retrobike member `incorrigible' arrived today. looks great. even better in the flesh. i now have the task of deciding what to hang on it. i will post pictures as i aquire parts and the build progresses. but to get me started i have some questions for people in the know out there. first thing i noticed is bottom bracket has no threads in it. what kind of bottom bracket do i need? and can anyone out there with a similar bike please tell me what length of spindle is required. better yet does anyone have one? next, what style of front deraileur do i need to mount on that bracket off the seat tube? anyone got one? should i go with some sort of cantilever brakes or upgrade to v brakes?
i understand this frame also requires a 1 1/4" steer tube fork. should i stick with that? or opt for one of the headset reducers available and go with a more standard 1 1/8" fork? well that should do it for now. sure hope people can help with knowledge and close up picture of the areas in question.
thanks
roy

Attachments

• Montare.jpg
    Montare.jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 3,227
Hi Roy,

The BB requires a 88 mm pressed fit Fisher axle. Hard to find. Take a look at my 1991 Mt Tam in signature (page 2).
I think Phil Wood has a pressed in BB which will fit these brackets.....

Just go for a 1 1/4" fork. I might have a fisher stem for you if interested.

Cheers,
Bart

hi all
build is coming together. got the fork issues sorted out. got new bearings and retainer clips for the bottom bracket. thought i had the worst over with. but i just can't find a front derailleur. it's one of those goofy mounts similar to an alpinestars but it's a top pull !!!! :( i have seen numerous bottom pull but no top pull versions. anyone out there have a one in top pull 1 1/4 mount? i'm tempted to just go with a single front ring and seven speed rear.
i need help
roy

hi
been a long time coming but here's my montare probably as
finished as it will ever be. unless i eventually fine one of
the elusive front derailleurs required for this bike. was
out on it for it's first ride today. it is an extremely
comfortably ride.
roy

Attachments

• Gary Fisher Montare 006.JPG
    Gary Fisher Montare 006.JPG
    83.9 KB · Views: 2,191
  • Gary Fisher Montare 005.JPG
    Gary Fisher Montare 005.JPG
    73.3 KB · Views: 2,191
  • Gary Fisher Montare 004.JPG
    Gary Fisher Montare 004.JPG
    85.3 KB · Views: 2,191
  • Gary Fisher Montare 003.JPG
    Gary Fisher Montare 003.JPG
    88.1 KB · Views: 2,191
  • Gary Fisher Montare 002.JPG
    Gary Fisher Montare 002.JPG
    84.1 KB · Views: 2,190
  • Gary Fisher Montare 001.JPG
    Gary Fisher Montare 001.JPG
    100.4 KB · Views: 2,192
Been a long time coming but that does look awesome... nice colours and the fork works really well

Enjoy the ride

Ive just done a 91 hookooekoo Roy.....you are aware that an endless band mech minus the band will work with it?..... :D

Looks very nice. Very very nice.

I have some questions

Do you use any kind of adaptor for the forks? they are difficult to find for me with another measure than 1". Is the seatpost brown colour?
finishing... what are those rings? they are beautiful.

feetabix":8s4hubwu said:
Ive just done a 91 hookooekoo Roy.....you are aware that an endless band mech minus the band will work with it?..... :D
hi
i am aware the band style will mount with a longer bolt, but not sure what you'd use to replace the half moon thingy on back used as a washer.
maybe bend a washer and a standard nut.
only problem is all i've found are bottom pull versions. this frame uses a top pull. is yours a top pull? could you post a picture?
thanks
roy

miliu":2zdlmssg said:
Looks very nice. Very very nice.

I have some questions

Do you use any kind of adaptor for the forks? they are difficult to find for me with another measure than 1". Is the seatpost brown colour?
finishing... what are those rings? they are beautiful.
hi
i purchased a headset reducer off ebay to use the 1 1/8" steer tube in the 1 1/4" head tube.
the seat post is annodized brownish/grey.
the rings have no identifying marks on them. rings and sugino gt crank arms
came off a very old nishiki bushwacker i parted out. i think they look pretty nice also.
thanks
roy

Back