So what's the story with Dekerf?

FMJ":3nzq5ew7 said:
DKFS-1.jpg

greenpig.jpg

Are those 24" wheels, or do the fat tires just make them look smaller?

Full Suss DeKerf

I believe my AMP based frame was a 1995 model?...picked it up in 1998 in London from Recycle.

When I was in the shop there was another full suss frame -all steel- and full fabricated by DeKerf which checking the catalouges seems to ahve been the 1996 model

Q for FMJ, when was your "DH" style DeKerf made?...& how much travel did it offer up?

Nearly gotten my DeKerf Implant ready to roll, mixture of old and new kit in the mix , some small Rertro effects on it, but prob not enough to warrent it appearing on here!!!

Dekerf Team ST - Reborn!

I'm loving this thread because lately I've had Dekerfs on the brain. After several years of riding my Yeti full-suspension, I decided that I really, really missed my Dekerf, which I've had for 12 years. The frame has been in a box for the past three years or so, and now it's been resurrected. Here's the story and photos of its latest incarnation...Since there's clearly a lot of enthusiasm for Dekerfs on this thread, I hope you find the many photos enjoyable (and not intrusive)...

Of all the bikes I have, probably the one that I feel most attached to is this 1999 Dekerf Team ST. There's something special and timeless about it, and it definitely has more soul than any other bike I have.

Two days ago, it was reborn with a mix of newer parts alongside classic 8-speed XTR (this is the third build in its 12-year lifetime).

The frame is Reynolds 853 with titanium chainstays. Although the frame looks almost black in photos, it's actually "metallic forest"; in the sunlight, it's a deep sparkly green, like pine trees. I like the fact that it's an uncommon color. As you can see, I've kept a rubber boot around the soft-tail, so it's always stayed smooth and it's literally maintenance-free.

In addition to the pretty base color, I also added my own personal touch...after I bought the frame in '99, the first thing I did (after applying some Frame Saver inside the tubing) was take it to Russ Pickett of AirArt, in Chico, California (home of Sierra Nevada beer) to do the custom flame job. Russ is a legendary airbrush artist who does custom work for Mountain Goat bicycles, as well as Sycip designs of San Francisco. His lovely work speaks for itself. (I do recognize, however, that the world is divided on flame paint jobs; I hear from folks who love mine, and from others who don't. We can all agree it's a question of personal taste.)

Some comments about the build:

- I'm not a complete retro-grouch, though I am relatively conservative about parts. I've always placed a high value on durability and relative simplicity, hence the coil Fox suspension instead of air suspension, mechanical disc brakes instead of hydraulic, etc.

- The Fox Vanilla fork is set for 100 mm...certainly on the low XC end of modern fork travel, though still slightly longer travel than a period-correct fork...but a decent compromise, I think, for a plush fork on '99 geometry...I have enough gray hairs and old bones now that I didn't want to get all religious about hunting down a 63 mm or 80 mm fork. I trust that all but the most fervent diehards among you will understand. ;)

- Chris Dekerf is great about adding disc tabs to older frames, and I made inquiries about this, but a full disc conversion would have required new cable guides on the frame and the distinctive flame job likely would have been lost...which I wasn't willing to do. So I'm running a classic Avid Arch Rival in the back. I'm delighted at how perfectly matched the front/rear brakes feel...I'd never know they are different.

Needless to say, the best thing about this unique steel Dekerf is the way it handles and the way it feels on the trail. There's a reason certain things are rightly called "classics"...they are always good, no matter the year. :cool:

The build:
Shimano M951 XTR shifter/brake levers, 8-speed
Shimano M951 XTR cranks & BB, 46-34-24, 8-speed
Shimano M951 XTR rear derailleur, rapid rise
Shimano M739 XT front derailleur
Shimano HG70 cassette, 11-30, 8- speed
Shimano IG70 chain, 8-speed
Fox Vanilla RLC front suspension - 100 mm
Avid BB7 disc brake, 160mm rotor - front
Avid Arch Rival brake - rear
Easton Monkey Lite carbon bars, low-rise
Cane Creek S-3 headseat
Thomson Elite stem, 120mm
Thomson Elite seatpost, 27.2
WTB Pure V saddle
Mavic X717 rims, black, DT swiss spokes
Shimano M756 XT disc hubs
WTB ExiWolf kevlar tires, 2.1
Shimano M535 pedals
Yeti Speed Grips

cimg3496enh.jpg

cimg3502enh.jpg

cimg3499enh.jpg

cimg3447enh.jpg

cimg3449enh.jpg

cimg3477enh.jpg

cimg3467enh.jpg

cimg3463enh.jpg

cimg3459enh.jpg

cimg3461enh.jpg

cimg3469enh.jpg

cimg3466enh.jpg

cimg3464enh.jpg

cimg3465enh.jpg

cimg3485enh.jpg

The paintjob isn't to my taste at all, but as for the build and the frame all I can say is WOW! Beautifully put together bike.

Thank you, Tazio, for your nice comments...and I know, the flame paint job is a very personal thing. Some folks like it, some do not. I've heard comments both ways. (Regardless, the airbrush work itself is very skillful.).

@Epptx Looks ACE! I have ridden a ST once and I liked it!

Here's my 'ride'. I bought it from suburbanreuben last winter. It then looked like this:
005_212.jpg

Although the frame had a fresh color it wasn't in the color I liked. Suburbanreuben has a Solitaire in a green color which is now for sale. That bike inspired me. So I gave the frame to the powdercoater and told him roughly what I wanted. He understood me and gave it a green which is slighly lighter than Britisch Racing Green but with a subtle gold flake.
He also coated the P2's
Gil made some fresh new decalls and it was time to build it up.

I don't have good pictures yet but here's one:
Foto-ASCZKWDB.jpg

Here's the speclist:
Frame : Dekerf
Fork: Kona P2
Headset : Chris King Ti
Bar: Titanium XACD Jones H-bar copy
Bartape : Charge
Stem : Ti bought at the Eurobike
Saddle: Charge
Crancks : Paul
BB : American Classic Ti
Chain : KMC X(?) SL
Chainring : 34t Paul
Cassette : 17t Shimano
Brakes : Paul F+R with Gore Ride-On cables
Rims : Mavic XC717
Front hub : White Industries
rear hub : White Industies ENO
Spokes: DT Comp
Frontwheel has been laced radial. The left side of the rear wheel has also been laced radial but the right side has normal lacing.
Tyres: Conti Speedking
QR : Salsa (front only)

Yesterday I took it out on a 45km spin and it is such a damn quick bike. It is truly unbelievable that this bike is from '94.

Casper, that Dekerf Solitaire is bitchin'. Love it! Especially the green color against the lovely saddle and handlebar tape. I can imagine how quick it must feel...

Here's anothe Dekerf that made it to Holland, my 99 Team ST. Just this weekend I scored some nice silver brakes for it and I have a polished set of the Syncros forged cranks for it. Time for an update to the build.

Enjoy!!

TeanSTsilver_010.jpg

TeanSTsilver_007.jpg

TeanSTsilver_012.jpg

Darn that first picture does rub it in how much it s%#@s Race Face have gone bust .....

So I guess you'll be joining in the second traditional Dekerf Meeting? I believe I promised to make a Bacon Explosion
bacon-explosion-xl.jpg

Latest posts

Back