Retro Ale Wobble (the aftermath)

orange71

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
So here we are at the beer festival live from the beer tent waiting for food, with sore legs and light hearts. The highlights of the ride were as follows:

Ed (ededwards) chose (after much deliberation about whether to go singlespeed, hardcore that he is) an 8 speed Vit T only for it to turn out to be single speed after all as the remaining gears skipped on a new casette.

Martin (Longendale) sends us the wrong way at the top of the first climb.

Deep slurry filled ditches did not hamper our progress as we made our way through the welsh countryside.

First mechanical goes to Ed (Orange71) as at the foot of a climb his awesome power shatters his granny ring but not his will.

Some slow steep technical downhills tested the mettle of our intrepid heroes but no major incidents.

Heathy will be disappointed as there were plenty of lithe sheep available, but next year mate, next year.

Long grinds up hill where was the beer??
Jon (GTSRTS+AVALANCHE) sported a worryingly persil white top for the majority of the ride. The rest of us were covered in welsh cack.

Beer at last after 3 hours toil. And boy it tasted good to those who *actually had some* and weren't talking about Peach Schnappes (you know who you are Speshmike... Sorry did that slip out).

So being the intrepid heroes we did the longest route (though more by accident than design) and descended towards town at a fair lick. One more beer stop, for the quaffers of ale, then on to the bike wash (the river). Highlight has to be Speshmike riding in at full tilt right up to his chest (forgetting he has his electronic car keys in his pocket). 'It's not as cold as I thought' he says. We suspect different.

So bikes cleaned, back to town for some more ale after returning first to our exclusive 5 star hotels (the boots of our respective cars/vans) to get ready for the night's entertainment.

This is currently underway and as the speeling gits wurse the ale gos downe nicely along with GTetc's wife's tiffin _ top notch and has 'some heft' as Ed (edawrds) put it succinctly.

Now we must way to drink more ... Photos later when a) sober b) somewhere we can upload.

Best ride of our lives.

Brilliant day, loved every minute of it! :D

Some areas a bit 'interesting' to put it lightly though! Bum on rear tyre drops when you have no brakes, no grip and a left SPD that won't let you unclip were, hmmm, fun :shock:

So many highlights for me though:
Ed (orange71) destroying his granny ring :shock: How?!! :?
Complete lack of brakes all day due to extreme mud (maybe not a 'highlight' as such, but hey, was a talking point after!)
Martin (longy) in the woods; he's up, now down, no up again, no down ;)
Mike (SPESHMIKE) prefering 'Peach Schnapps' over Ale :shock:
Ed2 (ededwards) being 'Mr Hardcore' doing singlespeed (not through choice mind) all day and still finishing annoyingly fresh :shock:
The never ending climb (after the second refreshment stop), HARDCORE :cool: (well, I liked it, kinda made you feel manly when you finished!)
The views; WOW :shock: :cool:
The lack of traction throughout the whole ride :x
Mike just riding into the river at the bike wash stop, still on his bike, up to his waist, and then some, claiming that 'something isn't very big anymore'!

The tiffin Kirsten (Mrs GTetc) made went down a treat after the ride, hey guys :LOL:

What a day, I could type all day, is was great!

Great company all day; thanks for welcoming us Ed, Ed2 and Martin (I'm speaking for Mike here as well).

And the bikes, our combo of my GT RTS, Mike's Spesh FSR S Works, Ed's DBR Axis, Longy's DB Apex and Ed2's Orange Vit T; faultless throughout the day. Well, I'm ignoring Ed's smashed granny ring (I dont know either :? ), his puncture (could happen to anyone) and Ed2's lack of gears (never fettle the night before!)

Heres to next year, cant wait ;)

Wholeheartedly agree with the above, great event made even better by convivial company.

I thought I'd add a couple of photos (apologies to Ed for the second one!), particularly impressed by the mud clearing properties of the Vit T, British design at it's best.

Attachments

• PB170416.JPG
    PB170416.JPG
    60.1 KB · Views: 3,537
  • PB170419.JPG
    PB170419.JPG
    67.5 KB · Views: 3,537
Sounds like a good day ouit gents. Hoe are the heads this morning ;)

And what's with the stockings on heads?

The hairnet's were to make sure only genuine hard-core riders got free beer and not just locals on a clunker!!

OK, so here are the photos. There are more in my gallery, these are just a few highlights:

The queue for registration (the long queue was pre-registered, the short one those that pay on the day - WTF?

main.php

Intrepid heroes with go-glow stockings...

main.php

GTetc enjoying the gloop (a little too much - and why was his top still white?)

main.php

ededwards with his power-stockings (see how they glow!)

main.php

The hardcore heroes stop for the view

main.php

longendale laughs at ededwards power-stockings

main.php

a Mint Sauce moment

main.php

Beer stop at last!

main.php

Speshmike puts a toe (and everyting else) in the water

main.php

attempts a wheelie

main.php

and cycles off

main.php

reluctantly the retro crew try peach schnapps (see how they manage to grimace a smile through gritted teeth)

main.php

ededwards has some chips with his sauce

main.php

post-ride entertainment, the band strike up and much alcohol is consumed

main.php

Looks cool. In the sense of good and bastard cold. The stream crossing looks hardcore. Bet Carl was used to it though after all those years training in Hereford ;)

Who is who then ?

Left to right: my finger in top left corner (Ed), Longendale (Martin), Speshmike (Mike), GTRTS&AVALANCHE (Jon), Orange 71 (Ed)

It was a trifle brisk but better than today (sleet)

Attachments

• PB170416.JPG
    PB170416.JPG
    60.1 KB · Views: 3,459
So, L-R we have:

Ed (Orange71), Ed (ededwards), Ed (no only kidding) Mike (Speshmike), Martin (Longendale) and Jon (GTRTS&AVALANCHE or GTetc for short)

main.php

And here is Jon rolling a phat one:

realalewobble2007037smarv4.jpg

Back