Whinlatter Mountain Bike Challenge 20/03/2011

sinnett177":umh94o2f said:
HarryCrumb":umh94o2f said:
Have a good one, wish i had signed up for this now. Next year for sure I think.
I'm bed bound with a heavy cold, doubt i'll be fit enough to take part. Fancy an entry Martin?

if i'd had a couple of days notice i would have snapped your hand off. Got too much booked in now this weekend. Cheers Mark.

Best of luck to all attending, I can hardly stand at the moment so can't even make it to cheer you along as planned! :cry:

I'm absolutely knackered! That's one of the hardest things I've ever done. No way could I have done 2 laps. Done the 17 miles (I hot it as 18 on my computer) in 2 hrs and 42 seconds. Not sure on my placing. Got over the line and one of the plates on the chain had come away and the front mech is well bent. Always casualties of war!

:shock: OWWWWWWWWW! :shock:

Sorry to hear of everyone's woes, Mark & Kev especially :( Hadn't checked in for a few days & hadn't realised - was ti-Mega spotting all day!

Very proud to say I got round in 4h33 - had I known they'd dumped the evil fire road round the valley on lap2 I wouldn't have held back on the South loop & should've broken 4h30 :x Still very pleased though, bring on Mayhem! ;)

I fear a world of pain awaits me tomorow... :cry:

Cheers Nick!

Sorry you couldn't be there to heckle - there were some girls screaming at us in a couple of spots and it's such a lift! Although they may just have been scared... :?

Great effort chaps well done to you both. Really gutted to have missed it, been thinking about it all day. Think i'll take a trip to Whinlatter in the week and test myself.

Any idea when the results are out? All I can find are last years.

4 1/2hrs is a tremendous effort! There's no way I could have done a second lap, I was completely empty.

Mixed emotions for me, glad I finished in the end, but did "retire" very early.

Start was crazy up that hill, I knew the first singletrack would be a traffic jam so did make a good effort.

First singletrack - snapped my chain as I turned onto it.

Now having lost my pump the other week, and for some reason couldnt screw the bottle cage onto the sintesi I chose to go uber-light, no tools, no fluids, no food. Was confident I could do the 1 lap, had 2x big bottles of PSP in the 90mins before the start.

Now some kind random gent lent me a chain splitter while I waited for my mate to catch up, and got on with putting it back together. Tool was a bit crap and I couldnt use it. Mark did catch up and being that he's a bit bigger and stronger than me did manage to crack a rivet and get a connection point. Earl spotted the 3 of us at this point :)

WHOOP! on the way again, but now so far back and stuck in a long line of people walking through the singletrack.

Passing a few where I could started to make progress, half a mile down the track I snapped the chain again, saw another link twisted too so decided to "retire". Put he chain in my pocket and carried on down the track, letting everyone past. Was odd, free wheeling where I could and walking elsewhere. Round the back of the hill and onto a proper descent, now back on with passing people. muddy and slidey this descent and made good progress.

Found myself at the blue loop, and rather than go straight-on and retire I though this bit was free-wheelable and goes tot he road so I'll do this and then retire. Did that, crossed the road, and thought bugger it, everyone around me is walking up the hills so maybe I can finish?

Walked/freewheeled to just before the feed station, now decided not to retire and to push on. Chatted to a guy who was stopped with back pain and he had a chain splitter - so had another go at fixing the bent link and the snapped one. All back together and back onwards.

This helped a lot, smiling, so far back everyone was easily passed and this helps with going even faster. Up the south loop and even disappointed when we started descending as I realised we'd only get half the descent!

Down past the cars and onto the road, legs burning into the headwind and seemed a long way down the road, started to wonder if I should have just retired. Turned off and onto he climb, slower now and sheltered from the wind I got my mojo back and made good progress. Turning into the singletrack at the top I recognised where we were and knew it was a good descent and that must be the finish - attacked it and passed quite a few.

Got to the finish in a utter crap 2:40 :roll:

Back