1997 Marin Mount Vision

dr_gn

Dirt Disciple
Here's my soon to be retired '97 Marin Mount Vision. Bought the frame brand new for £500 and built it up using a combination of parts from my old bike, and new parts. Since then it's done approx. 3000 miles of mountain biking, mostly in the Dark Peak. In those 14 years it's never let me down. I replaced the swingarm bearings once (only becasue I stripped it completely for an overhaul, not becasue they were worn out).

It's obviously been updated a bit over the years, and the current, probably final spec. is:

Forks: Pace RC36 EVOIII (1999)
Shock: Stratos TR-1
Brakes: F: Hope Hydro 185mm, R: Hope Hydro (with torque arm) 155mm (1997)
Brake Hoses: Goodridge stainless braided.
Hubs: Hope Titanium (1997)
QR's: Hope Titanium (1997)
Wheels: Mavic 717 DISC
Tyres: F&R, Tioga Factory DH 2.1
Seatpost: USE Alien Carbon 350
Bars: Easton Monkey Lite CT-2
Stem: X-Lite FLY
Bar Ends: X-Lite (c. 1997 - Disco?)
Grips: ODI Lock-On
Seat: Specialized Avatar
Pedals: DMR V-8
Crankset: Raceface Evolve XC
Front Mech: Shimano Deore
Rear Mech: SRAM X-9
Shifters: SRAM X-9
Cassette: SRAM 9 speed
Chain: SRAM 9 speed
Cables: Avid Flack Jackets
Headset: WTB Momentum
Bottom Bracket: Superstar Components Ceramic

Weight c. 30 lbs

Attachments

• F.JPG
    F.JPG
    123.4 KB · Views: 4,188
  • D.JPG
    D.JPG
    142.8 KB · Views: 4,189
  • B.JPG
    B.JPG
    142.2 KB · Views: 4,189
  • A.JPG
    A.JPG
    194.1 KB · Views: 4,189
big.eck":2u64cgo6 said:
wow :shock: i love it :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool:

stunning mate ;)

Thanks! I'm looking forward to seeing what these new fangled 2009 bikes are like. I'm assured things have moved on in most areas since 1997...

jamabikes":26zojv3v said:
dont normally like mount visions, but that looks awesome! welcome!

Thanks very much.

The only thing I don't really like about the original Mount Vision is the crappy welding on the swingarm, looks almost like a prototype when compared with the main frame. Never cracked though...plus IIRC the lifetime warranty would still be valid if I could find my receipt!

I sold my one recently...and can say of the three or four modern full sus I have had a go on it is just as good....,orange and several other companies still make a very similar frame and similar pivot position anyway.......If it was me I would save your money and keep the old girl..... :cool:

alot of people tell you things have massively moved on just to get money out of your pocket :LOL: :LOL:

marin man":28cyc2ra said:
I sold my one recently...and can say of the three or four modern full sus I have had a go on it is just as good....,orange and several other companies still make a very similar frame and similar pivot position anyway.......If it was me I would save your money and keep the old girl..... :cool:

alot of people tell you things have massively moved on just to get money out of your pocket :LOL: :LOL:

Yeah I know! I've not bought the 'intended' one yet (2009 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Comp). Going to look at it tomorrow evening. Don't worry, if the price isn't right I won't be buying it.

Good luck mate.....ps...dont buy a generalized......keep the marin...look into my eyes....look into my eyes.....not around the eyes......one two three......your under... :LOL:

marin man":2icxzbt3 said:
Good luck mate.....ps...dont buy a generalized......keep the marin...look into my eyes....look into my eyes.....not around the eyes......one two three......your under... :LOL:

Seriously? I've done a bit of research on them and spoken to someone who's ridden one for a couple of years and they seem pretty good: a bit lighter and more travel then the Mount Vision. Not sure about all the geometry bull**** though.

At some point fairly soon I'd think my swingarm will go the way of all original Marin swingarms and crack....so it might be a good time to cut my losses. Still keep it in reserve though!

well alot of people on here call them generalized....not sure why really....easy to get another swingarm anyway ...ebay a frame and take the swingarm off.....job done....about 50 quid for the later type of swingarm....what ever you buy it wont look as good as what you have....

upto you mate.... ;)

Back