1981 Chris Chance Criterium: 2011 RBUK Road Bike of the Year

Wow---that one is fantastic, thanks a lot for sharing that. So many cool details. It's definitely in his style (the seat cluster and head lugs are identical). 10 year anniversary for him would mean it is an 1987? Then again there is the 34-84 50th anniversary of something being commemorated on the seat tube. So an 84 or an 87.

Makes me want to hack off my dropouts and make another track bike.... ;)

Okay, now I have seen two! (three if we count the catalogue scan)
Mine is an 1981, the last year he made frames independently.

As it arrived in my back yard before this long long winter:

IMG_1569.jpg

yo-Nate-y":3dxg7qov said:
I don't know how many were produced (sent an email to Chris asking, but no reply), but I can't imagine it was too many.

I ended up getting a nice reply from Chris some time ago, but sadly with no mention of the # of frames produced or the story on the stripes. He said he was glad that the frame found its way to someone who appreciates it.

And I recently took delivery of this perfect little piece, which will replace the all silver job above and match the black version FD I found last fall:

Screenshot2011-03-10at121448PM.png

Cool you got reply from Chris :cool: Very cool actually, as what we hear all the time is that he totally had enough of everything bike and bicycle industry.

When do you hope to have the bike finished?

I sure do like that black ano DA mech.

Indeed, the reply from Chris really made my day/week/month.

The last bit I need for the build is a seatpost. Despite the temptation to find a DA, I really want to put a Nitto Jaguar on it. I want buy the last piece when I am in Tokyo in April.... but I might get impatient and just order one online. I plan get this in the April BOTM if I can finish in time (get back from Japan on the 24th, so it might be tight).

yo-Nate-y":23z6bd6d said:
Indeed, the reply from Chris really made my day/week/month.

The last bit I need for the build is a seatpost. Despite the temptation to find a DA, I really want to put a Nitto Jaguar on it. I want buy the last piece when I am in Tokyo in April.... but I might get impatient and just order one online. I plan get this in the April BOTM if I can finish in time (get back from Japan on the 24th, so it might be tight).

Very cool; any chance of sharing more from your emails?

[Sure man, shoot me an email!]

Build updates: I'm just going to pony up and order the damn post :idea:

Here are some pics:

IMG_2218.jpg

I fitted a black post and it looked awesome, but I think I need to go slightly more trad with silver and a black Turbo. Decided to stick with the original Campy headset, and with silver instead of black DA 7200 downtube shifters.

IMG_2225.jpg

Found a slightly older set of Royal Gran Compe's that have a chrome release :)

IMG_2230.jpg

NOS DA levers.

IMG_2223.jpg

Switched out the silver for the black version of the 7200 rear mech.

IMG_2221.jpg

The drivetrain is coming together nicely. There's now a DA BB instead of the previous Campy pista.
Still kind of tempted to get a gold DA corncob, but the Suntour set now will be fine.

Back