Avid Ultimate Levers (old ones)

fuzzywig

Onnnne Huuuunnnndrreeed and Eigggghhhhty
I was in a very nice bike shop t'other day asking for some swanky V levers. Got some funny looks from the staff (you know the "why've you not got discs" one) anyway after insisting they had none after five minutes of hovering the guy strolls up with some Avid ultimates (the original ones). I thought thats more like it, are you sure they're V levers? I ask. Yes the guy says. Price was good so I had 'em, now how do I tell if they are V levers? Without rigging them up :?:

baf8_12.jpg

They look like this, only with a black clamp and lever. Sorry my camera died recently no pics of actuals at the mo' :oops:

look where the cable is attached , is there 2 points to attach it or just one ?

if there is only one , can it be adjusted ?

I think first Ultimate were cantis only , then they made them V compatible .

On my real l evers , there are 2 positions for the cable .

There is only one hole. A set on Ebay recently mentioned a V Chip :?

Real X levers :cool: They're what I'm trying to replace, They're getting too wobbly it's a shame 'cos I love 'em. Stupid light but still really tough (Why the rubbish un-adjustable pivot :cry: ) I thought I'd won the battle for a suitable relacement, now I'm not so sure.

If only I'd not bent the Machine Tech V levers all those years ago :x

Those are cantilever only ones. You can use them on V's but they'll be a bit spongy. Make sure the dial is wound out to it's fullest extent (ie the cam is furthest away from the pivot bolt. You can get V adapter cams that replace the noodles on the v's to increase the leverage, but other than that they're not going to be too hot.

On the plus side I think they are the best cantilever brake levers in the world - what did you pay for 'em

Deffo Canti only on them levers .

Trust me i found out the hard way back in the day as i tried to get them working with a pair of Tektro V Brakes

Pretty sure i still have them levers in a lovely shade of blue somewhere..... :LOL:

I used to run Deore LX (multi pivot) V-Brakes on SLR Canti levers, never had a problem.. didnt work to well on single pivot V brakes though :LOL:

Back