1995 Amp Research B3

HarryCrumb

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
My 1995 Amp Research B3

I thought it was about time I got a full thread up for this, as it’s one of my first two retro builds that I started. So here we go.

First up a bit of history around the bike and the build
During a ride in 1997 I had popped into Formby Cycles for the customary viewing of the Proshift Rear Mech in the glass cabinet, when Ben(benandemu) and I saw an aluminium full suspension frame hung on the wall. It was used and for sale with XT front mech, Syncros post and a Kona Titanium saddle fitted. We took the frame off the wall I think Ben first and he may have exclaimed “what the ….”. It was light yes. A while later that same day I was returning, having worked out my finances to buy the frame. I struck a deal with the shop and Part Xed my 1994 Kona Kilauea(regrettably).
Original Sales Receipt
16032011109.jpg

My original build back then involved
Pace RC 36 forks, Syncros Stem, Pace Bars, Magura Jonny Ts(orange flouro), Gripshift srt 800, FSA headset, Syncros Post, Kona Titanium saddle(now on my 1993 Kilauea), Middleburn and Pace chainset(now on my Parkpre Pro 825), Hope Hubs(also on the Parkpre), and an M900 XTR rear mech.

I rode the bike for several months and even rode it into a Rover 200 and put the windscreen through. It was not long after this following a ride up at Grizedale with benandemu, we were loading the car when the back wheel dropped on the Amp as I lifted the bike off the ground. Further investigation showed that the bar in the centre of the shock had snapped in two.

I assumed that fixing an American frame/shock would cost a fortune, and the internet was not as established as it is now so research was hard. I bought an XLR8 Ritchey Prestige frame and fork from Leisure Lakes to keep me on the trails and threw all the parts onto that.

Several years later, and the internet discovery of the AMP Research Site. This led me to Brion Le Belle at Amp. Following a transaction in December 2005 and a charge of $34.50 my new replacement shock was on its way from Amp in the states. Further transactions and the purchase of some Amp forks set me on the path of a retro build. The blue Pace bars and the stars and strips decal on the seat tube set the theme of red and blue rolling.

myphone221.jpg

myphone219.jpg

myphone243.jpg

Rear hub blue hope and Tioga Titanium cassette with blue spacers and lock ring
myphone225.jpg

Clear grips show off the blue bars
myphone222.jpg

Syncros Cattle Head stem from my original build costing over £80 BITD
myphone234.jpg

Topline Cranks with Cooks, Middleburn, and Pace rings
myphone227.jpg

Amp forks with new decals from Amp Research
myphone240.jpg

Fully hand polished Magura Jonny Ts
myphone233.jpg

myphone238.jpg

myphone232.jpg

myphone231.jpg

Onza HO pedals with NOS bolt and plate kits fitted, plus new elasometer
myphone228.jpg

myphone229.jpg

Flite Saddle colour matched to overall scheme
myphone236.jpg

Amp original brace looks simple but it does work
myphone237.jpg

Mavic 517 rims with red and blue anno nipples
myphone226.jpg

Note the seat tube decal which set of the theme against the chainset colours
myphone230.jpg

Nos white Grip shift grips still to be fitted
myphone244.jpg

Amp decals made up with stars and stripes inset by the graphic shop
myphone239.jpg

Retro bike ridden at the “Crème Egg” ride last year
NWA-Clocaenog-00103-04-2010.jpg

01103-04-2010.jpg

NWA-Clocaenog-00603-04-2010.jpg

Spec:
Fork:Amp Research XC, 1"1/8 alu steerer Ahead

Headset:FSA
Stem:Syncros Cattle Head
Handlebar:pace RC sub 130 Renthal
Grips:Yetti clear with closed ends
Barends:None

Brakes:Magura Jonny Ts stripped and polished
Brake Pads:Magura
Brake Cables:Fluid tubing by Magura
Cantilever cable hangers: None
Brake Levers:Magura

Shifters:Grip Shift SRT 800 X-ray
Front Derailleur:XT M737
Rear Derailleur: XT M737
Derailleur Cables: Shimano
Cassette:Tioga full titanium
Chain:Sram PC60
Cranks: Topline (Suntour Micro Drive BCD)
Crank Bolts:SRP blue
Chainrings: Outer-Cook Bros, Middle-Middleburn, inner-Pace
Chainring bolts:Red aluminium
Bottom Bracket:Action Tech titanium
Pedals:Onza HOs Titanium axles

Hub Skewers:Red (upgrade later)
Rims:Mavic 517
Hubs:Hope Ti glide rear, and suspension front
Nipples:Red and Blue aluminium
Spokes:DT double butted
Tyres:panaracer Magic
Tubes:Air-B Latex

Saddle:Selle Itallia Flite Kevlar
Seatpost:Syncros
Seatpost Binder:? came with frame in '97

Wow, that's some bike :cool:

I'm glad you posted this up, because I've just got my hands on a B3 too and I'm currently waiting for it to arrive :) :)

I didn't realise that the downtube was flattened? Mine looks like it has a regular round one.

Can't believe that the rear shock was so cheap either! I'll be getting in touch with Brion to stock up on a few spare parts.

What size is yours btw? Mine is 18.5" C-T.

Barneyballbags":390yuvrl said:
Wow, that's some bike :cool:

I'm glad you posted this up, because I've just got my hands on a B3 too and I'm currently waiting for it to arrive :) :)

I didn't realise that the downtube was flattened? Mine looks like it has a regular round one.

Can't believe that the rear shock was so cheap either! I'll be getting in touch with Brion to stock up on a few spare parts.

What size is yours btw? Mine is 18.5" C-T.

Cool, it's usually worth getting a bush kit from Brion as they are usually gon on used un restored frames and forks

it's about 16" C-C from memory, so a 17 inch/small in usual standards

depending on the year the down tube was 1 piece or the early B2s had double down tubes. This was weak at the headtube joint and got replaced with the type you see above giving a greater welding area.

Awesome story and your build is great. Good amoun of colour splashed here and there but not overly done I think.

RockiMtn":1xzc830a said:
Awesome story and your build is great. Good amount of colour splashed here and there but not overly done I think.

cheers, i tried to keep colour away from main components

I have got a B3 frame with bottom bracket and tele forks unfortunatly no gears or chain wheel.
I bought from a car boot sale for £8 and have just aquired some F3 forks off eBay, will keep you posted when I have it built up.

Richard
near Guildford

Hi,

Really nice Bike and project, that set for sure puts lots of people looking to it!
Any way, If I can make a question to you or to who can help.
Do you know how to order parts like the Stickers from Amp or the Springs?

Regards

Nuno

dickypalm":2pg35amf said:
I have got a B3 frame with bottom bracket and tele forks unfortunatly no gears or chain wheel.
I bought from a car boot sale for £8 and have just aquired some F3 forks off eBay, will keep you posted when I have it built up.

Richard
near Guildford

Looking forward to that, £8, I feel sick

nogueira.nuno":313ki58j said:
Hi,

Really nice Bike and project, that set for sure puts lots of people looking to it!
Any way, If I can make a question to you or to who can help.
Do you know how to order parts like the Stickers from Amp or the Springs?

Regards

Nuno

PM coming with answer to that one

cheers for the comments ;)

Back