Skinheadjc's Singular hummingbird

skinheadjc

Retro Guru
So my ti project has had to go on hold as the funds were proving difficult to raise as the cost slowly crept up as i refind the build (around £700 for the frame in the end).http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=112964 I've not finished with this project but i think i'll leave it a year or so and try to refine exactly what i want from it, and CAD it up myself.

So, i looked around for a steel frame with similar geometry to what i wanted and eventually found it in the Singular Hummingbird. Its almost the same geo as the custom frame, only diferrance being the chain stays are 10mm shorter (which is better i think). Its designed for a 29" front wheel (or 26" with sus fork) so the top tube is slightly longer than a standard 16" which was exactly what i was looking for (small frame long tt) and as it has an excentric bottom bracket i could get the slightly lower than normal ride height i was looking for.

I contacted Sam at Singular and had a frame within a couple of days.

Its now fully built and here is the result:

img0040oi.jpg

(MRP x1 slipped just prior to tacking the pic, but its sorted now)

i'm toying with the idea of going 2x 10 on it for next summer (for flexibility), and will prob get a singlespeed kit for the rear hub (it has an EBB) for the night time winter loops around Ashton Court.

First ride impresions are great, just what i wanted. Super fast on climbs, and over all its significantly quicker than the 16" carbon frame i used to ride.

saltyman":38tlh3hi said:
quite like the look of these, does it ride ok?

:cool:

With the rigid forks designed for the frame and a 29" front wheel it's probably the best handling bike that I've ridden, and with biggish (2.35")tyres run at lowish pressures, surprisingly absorbent over rooty, rocky terrain.
It's one of those bikes that just feels better the faster you go, and yet is agile and nimble for low speed nadgery, and thrutchy moves over logs and rock steps.
I did (in a moment of madness :roll: ) entertain the idea of setting mine up as 1x6 (on the Hope SS hub) but then I came to my senses and kept it as what I bought it for - a nice, clean and efficient singlespeed.

Attachments

• Hummingbird 3.jpg
    Hummingbird 3.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 5,294
It rides very well with 26" up front too!

I wanted a replacement for my old frame, as it was teh right size (16") but had quite a short Top Tube length, around 550mm i think so i was running a 100mm stem. The original plan was to get a custom ti frame made up (see other thread linked in OP), but i fell short of the funds needed. So the i bought teh Singular, due to the fact its designed to also use a 29" rigid front wheel set up (like Andy R's ;) ) the top tube is longer than a standard medium frame, just what i wanted.

It rides very, very well. It has the great steel frame feel and climbs superbly. it just rockets up technical single track! in comparison to my previous bike its 2lbs heavier at a smidge under 26lbs, which isnt to bad for a steel 4130 frame (tripple butted). The frame it self is 5.25 lbs on my scales.

I beat my previous best on the Bristol Bikefest route around Ashton Court on the second ride (31mins), but also managed to blow the compresion damping cartridge seals at the same time.

Ok - update time :D

I ditched the idea about going to 2x10 when i managed to get hold of an Alfine 11 for silly money just after xmass. Its a great setup, however its gained weight though from the 1x9 setup that was on there (by 1.68lbs). the Alfine has performed faultlessly on and off road - no problems at all.

I've also had quite few other new bits:
Chris King Headset
Chris King ISO front hub on mavic 717
Truvative Noir cranks with a hope bb (both of which were free :D )
Avid Elixir CR breaks (which have been great - although i still need to trim the hoses)
oh, and a new Gobi XM saddle as i wore out the old one.

IMG_0099.jpg

And on to the next stage:

I managed to get a second set of Reba WC's which didnt have the best cosmetic apreance, so a respray was in order, along with some custom decals here are the results:

IMG_0162.jpg

IMG_0164.jpg

IMG_0169.jpg

IMG_0170.jpg

Its now exactly how i want it - so no further tinkering for a while.... (much to the wifes delight :roll: )

:D

ok, not updated this in a while - been all over the south now on the hummingbird so far this summer - hampshire, surrey, wiltshire, south wales, devon, south glos etc....

and i can't fault it the frame - it was exactly what i wanted...

changed the bars to some Radley carnegie's, i tried the alloy ones first after getting them for a bargain on ebay, but now have the carbon ones as i liked them so much - no more long ride aching hands. Also i've have recently bought a brooks swift ti - thanks SM500! - only put that on this afternoon, so i've not tried it yet, proberly will on tuesday, was just sick of wareing out gobi's - 3 of them in 4 years (the last one has only taken 6months to show signs of ware, but then again i have been commuting on this bike as well over the summer so i've been racking up the miles).

oh, any just for the hell of it i've bought some (more) ti bits, stem bolts, seatpost bolts and axels for the pedals - just because i was board on ebay one day (got them cheap too).

my only niggles, are that the forks arent quite as stiff as i'd like, so i'm on the look out for a 2nd set of 20mm reba lowers... (which i'll spray up to match),and the weigh, whilst at 27ish lbs isnt massivly heavy, could be better.

The only macanical i've had is the chain coming off once, not even a punture! but i think thats because i'm using Panaracer Fllataway strips in both tyres - would highly recomend!!

any way here are some pics :

DSC_0573.jpg

DSC_0572.jpg

not been on here for a whole so thought i'd give a quick update on the alfine 11 as i had one of those OMG i think it may have exploded moments about a week ago.

I went for a ride with a mate which ment going in my car and picking him up. As i only have a Saris soloist (bike carrier that only takes one bike) that ment taking the front and rear wheels off mine and sticking it in the boot. The ride went well and all was good, untill the next ride....

1st through to 3rd were fine but as soon as i put it in 4th the Alfine made horrible crunching noise and then i had no gears - heart in mouth moment - 4,5,6 & 7th were nonexistant 8-11th were ok as were 1st-3rd!

Got home worried as anything, and did a strip down, turns out that i'd bent the gear cable, must have been when putting it back in the boot of the car. Any kinks in the gear cable really effect how it shifts - this bend was about an inch from teh last cable stop so 1-3rd weren't effected. Anyway a new cable has sorded it (also gave me an excuse to replace the outer with better 5mm pre lubed sealed cable.

PHEW....

other than that nothing to report, doing lots of night loops around ashton court at the moment....

Back