1992 Merlin Project

Fudd

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Hi all, I've just picked this up - :p

20101229-P1010091.jpg

As the title states, its a 1993 Merlin and its a 16.25" frame. I bought it as a complete bike with Mag 21's, an odd xt/m900/m950 mix, Nuke Proof wheels and carbon bar and seatpost. The original plan was to strip it, sell most of the parts, re-finish the frame and then spend maybe the next six months deciding on the build, raising funds and then searching for parts to complete it....

Screw that!!!, I've got the bits to get it rolling in the next week or two and theres no way I can have one of THE legendary frames sitting in the next room for the next six months, waiting on the correct seatpost or whatever to appear on ebay before I can sample its delights :D

Below is a list of how it will be built initally, but I've also included the details of what I'm planning on (subject to change); the only things I'm 100% on are XT thumbies, M900 mech's, M900 cassette and nice V brakes, probably Pauls....

Frame: 1993 Merlin Ti 16.25"

Fork: RS Mag 21 custom painted & Hippie Tech tuned. I'll ride these and see how they go but probably eventually swap for RC35's

Headset: M900
Stem: Ritchey 1" quill, looking out for a silver syncros to replace...
Handlebar: X-Lite ti
Grips: ODI lockon
Barends: X-Lite stubbies in silver (I'm undecided on wether to fit barends or not)

Brakes: M950 V's, I'll definitely be changing these but keeping V's, probably to Pauls unless something else interesting pops up...
Brake Cables: Goodridge
Brake Levers: XT STI's, On the lookout for silver Love Levers...
Shifters: As above, I have XT tumbies going on as soon as the brake levers are sorted
Front Derailleur: XT, looking for M900
Rear Derailleur: M900
Derailleur Cables: Goodridge
Cassette: M900 12-32
Chain: KMC
Cranks: M900 currently being refurbed. I might change these for Topline/Cooks/Grafton
Bottom Bracket: WTB Greaseguard
Hub Skewers: Controltech Ti
Rims: Bontrager
Spokes: Black DB
Hubs: Nuke Proof Atom Bomb. I'd like to swap the wheels for silver hubs (M900 or CK), ceramic rims and stainless spokes eventually but I'm happy with whats on there for now
Tyres: IRC Notos
Tubes: Yes

Saddle: Charge Spoon in Brown
Seatpost: Syncros Carbon. I'd prefer a Syncros ti on there but I'll leave that till the end....

And some more pics -

20101229-P1010096.jpg

20101229-P1010097.jpg

20101229-P1010092.jpg

An evening spent rubbing and it now looks like this -

20101229-P1010100.jpg

The wheels -

20101230-P1010107.jpg

Taking shape -

20101230-P1010109.jpg

20101230-P1010112.jpg

Please feel free to add comments or suggestions or even tell me I'm a Philistine for not going with cantis.... And if you are looking to trade/swap/buy any of the parts I have listed then feel free to fire me a pm (but don't post here please, lets keep this a build thread thanks :D )

Thanks for looking :D

Nice project ;)
You are sure about 93 with the "Grease Card BB" ?
I think your bike is older ;)

Thanks for the comments chaps and sorry for not updating in over 3 months :oops: . I've deviated from the original plans a bit and its still far from finished, but its nearly there.

20110318-P1010264.jpg

20110318-P1010265.jpg

The current spec -

Frame: 1992 Merlin Ti 16.25"
Fork: Pace RC35.
Headset: Chris King
Stem: Syncros Cattleprod 130mm
Handlebar: X-Lite ti
Grips: ODI lockon
Brake levers: Avid Ultimate (I think :?: )
Cantis: Onza HO
Brake Cables: Goodridge
Front Derailleur: XTR M900
Rear Derailleur: XTR M900
Derailleur Cables: Goodridge
Shifters: XT 8sp thumbies
Cassette: XTR M900 12-32
Chain: KMC
Cranks: Cook Bros RSR
Rings: XTR M900
Bottom Bracket: WTB Greaseguard Titanium axle
Hub Skewers: Formula
Rims: Araya RM14
Spokes: Stainless DB
Hubs: XTR M900
Tyres: Kenda Nevegal 2.1
Tubes: Yes
Saddle: Charge Spoon
Seatpost: Syncros Titanium
Pedals: DX platforms
Fluff: King cage, Titanium crank caps and headset spacers, Avid rollmajig

I'd say its about 90% finished. The seat will be changed for a Flite as soon as I can find a nice white label one and the DX pedals are only on so I can ride it :D . I also want a shorter stem than the 130mm, preferably quill type and a bit of rise. Any suggestions?

I'll probably be changing the the Onza cantis though. They'd be perfect on a Klein, Funk or Zaskar but I think they look a bit too bling and chunky against the elegant lines of the Merlin. I'm currently on the lookout for some M900 or maybe Avid tri-aligns to replace them :cool: .

With regards to this being a '93 frame, all I can say is well spotted guys ;) . I had my doubts as well so I emailed Tom Kellog at Spectrum Cycles. He was able to tell me that the frame was built around May to August of '92 but went on to suggest that it may have sat in a shop until '93 so probably an honest mistake by the seller.

I'll have to get some daylight pics taken but heres some kitchen pics in the meantime:

20110318-P1010270.jpg

20110318-P1010266.jpg

20110318-P1010269.jpg

20110318-P1010268.jpg

Really better with the Pace ;) !
In France, the Merlin importator sold the frame with that fork, which respected more the titanium feeling than hydraulic ;)

But I would prefer the Ritchey stem… The Syncros looks so massive on such a thin frame, and a little too modern…

24pouces":puhzigrs said:
Really better with the Pace ;) !
In France, the Merlin importator sold the frame with that fork, which respected more the titanium feeling than hydraulic ;)

But I would prefer the Ritchey stem… The Syncros looks so massive on such a thin frame, and a little too modern…

I remember a pic in one of the UK mags bitd with the RC35's and I was sold :cool: . Before that I had only seen Merlins with various rigid forks, which I loved, but when I saw one with the Pace forks it went straight to the top of my 'if I win the lottery' list. Its nice that I now have that bike but not so nice that I haven't won the lottery yet :D

I agree about the stem but the Ritchey is too long and low at 130mm and 0deg rise, plus the clamp had stretched a bit, so it wouldn't clamp the bars tight when fully clamped. I'm on the lookout for something 100-120mm and 10-15deg rise and there were a load of similar Ritchey stems on ebay a while back but none to be found now :?

The Syncros would probably look better if the skinny Ti spacers weren't fitted but its still too long and low to be comfortable so needs changing asap.

Back