Specialized Rockhopper 1997

The paintwork is original, the photo makes the paintwork look better than it really is but not bad. Some parts came from my 09 Stumpjumper Elite FSR, the X9 shifters, rear mech, XT front mech and Sram cassette were donated by my mate Rob, The brakes were originally on an old Klein Attitude i owned a few years ago.
Gives a very sure footed ride.

Ridni I have been distracted by using my modern bike.
Having said that I am now at a commutable distance to work so am looking at getting this up and running now. All I am missing is BB, headset and a chainring / chain.

I still haven't decided on what to do regarding the frame - I started thinking £60 was a lot to get it sprayed but have managed to chuck some stuff on the bay (vinyl, general crap lying around) so have raised £30 easily so now thinking I should stop being a pikey and go for it.

I always liked the bright red redhoppers. Would that be sacrilige? I like your bright metallic blue but would be difficult to replicate.

I have the 97 steel Rockhopper in dark blue...bought it on the May bank holiday 1997 as I recall. It started off life rigid all round, but I added Rond Quake forks 10 years ago.

I'm found this site because I dug it out of the shed today, it's been there for 18 months or so gathering dust (usual story, started a family...no time, got fat, neglected bike, got thin, sought out trusted old steed), and was disturbed to see rust spots on it! Anyway, I cleaned it up, pumped up the tyres and climbed back on, and it's still a great ride. Hopefully the rust is just on the surface.

As for a red paint job, back in 1997 you could buy the rigid Rockhopper in dark blue or the red. Now, I LOVED it in red, it really caught my eye, and the red colour was what lured me across the shop floor from the GTs and Konas...but, I didn't want a bike that caught every light fingured Tom, Dick and Harry's eye, so I went for the more subtle dark blue, and still love it.

Anyway, whatever colour you go for it's a class frame and ride, and is still bags of fun!

Great site, best of luck with the build!

slowly i am getting bits together. Have found an industrial powdercoaters who will sand blast and paint for only £30 - and they do a lot of bikes and are very clued up as to what need doinng / paying attention to.

Here's a few photos in mock build up. Getting the bits together with a view to a respray once done. I am also doing up a stumpy so am filtering bits across all the time :LOL:

rock.jpg

rock5.jpg

rock4.jpg

rock3.jpg

Forks are from a Rockhopper, bars are Kona bars from a modern Fire Mountain, as are the Avid levers (which feel awesome albeit not as retro as they should be).

Have some LX V's to throw on, may put the levers on as well but never liked them that much so will probably stick with the Avids.

Looks a nice bike there mate.

I had a red 97 Rockhopper, I was always after a Kona Fire Mountain, but I went into the bike shop and there she was, in bright red!

The spec was so much better than the Kona too, I think it was one of the only £400 bikes with v-brakes at the time. Modern technology eh?

Mine was a bit big for me, but would always fancy having a 17/18 inch one if the chance came up. :cool:

Picked up the frame from the powdercoaters this morning at 7am...

First time I have used them and they look like they have done a stellar job. I let my other half choose the colour and this is what she went for...

29afc39b-f824-484d-9f1d-aab350111a91.jpg

Difficult colour to describe, maybe ivory? Looks classy and understated.
Found a really good quality company near Coullompton to do this for £30+VAT - great price, and they do a lot of bikes so know what they are doing.

Will hopefully build up as far as possible in the next week or so and will post updates. Thanks for looking.

martymcfly":14tx3kir said:
Looks like a great colour, are you going with the original decals?
Thanks Marty

Haven't decided on what decals yet...
Will probably try and get originals decals, but not sure what colour to get them in. The yellow on blue frame originals were good but yellow would be far too light against this.

Back