Stif

Radar

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
... for some reason I visited the Stif website today. BITD when I was doing my teacher training I used to ride with the Stif chaps - when they were based at the sail loft in Headingley. Great shop, it was de rigeur when taking a bike in that it got hung on the scales.

They then moved to a swanky shop on the main street in Headingley, which was just a great looking shop. This was about the time they started selling Paul's components, and I moved to the Peak District.

Always remember looking at their build matrix table in MBUK and fantasy speccing Vitamin Ts and Pace frames.

I see they still see a revamped 'well barsteward fast' t-shirt. Could be tempted. Might also splash 75p on a stif sticker for the toolbox for old times sake.

Used to spend far too much time in the loft bitd. It still is my favourite ever bike shop :cool:

Lot's of the same staff still work at the new spot in Summerbridge although the shop is now just a plain 'space'. Still filled with loads of ace gear though. Like how the sticker has not changed over the years. I got my 2005 Orange Evo4 from Stif (25 miles away) instead of from the shop just down the road simply because I wanted a sticker on it! :oops: :LOL:

Aye - it was my second home as well. Two buses to get there (and a Chippy lunch in Otley on the way home :cool: ).

Do you remember the guy called DT ? Wonder if he's still there. This was in '91, '92, '93 though.

Got the bus as well, X84 (I think) from Skipton. My mate and me used to stop off in Otley for a look in the R/C shop on the way home :cool:

Not sure of his name but I think there's a chap there that used to work in the original shop.

brocklanders023":bze38hyw said:
Got the bus as well, X84 (I think) from Skipton. My mate and me used to stop off in Otley for a look in the R/C shop on the way home :cool:

Not sure of his name but I think there's a chap there that used to work in the original shop.

Otley Model sport and Stif... we must have bumped into each other at some point!

Used to visit both of these on as frequent basis as possible in my early teens.

What about Chevin Cycles? Always had a quick shufty in there as well, as the chippy was across the road.

My Kestrel MXZ was frequently in Stif (I kept blowing the seals on the MAG20's). They loved it - always got a small crowd gathered around it when I brought it in. I think it was there in it's original grey colour, as well as when I had it fully zebra striped :shock: :LOL: .

Anyone remember seeing the Kestrel on the wall in Chevin Cycles? It was £500 and it sat there for months and months while I saved up.

Attachments

• kestrel.jpg
    kestrel.jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 1,808
Also remember seeing a display of mavic wheels in a window of a small shop on the junction of North Lane (this is about 91). Not sure if that was connected to stif or not. Remember being rather taken by the ceramic rims.

Also remember frequenting the bike shop at Hyde Park corner as it was at the end of my road... and the Chemic, and the chippy next doorish to the Chemic.

Then of course Freewheel sprang up in the centre - remember waiting for the first incarnation of XTR coming in stock...

Yup I would of haunted Chevin cycles around 94 onwards. My Marin team came from there.

stif bikes! takes me back.

creaky wooden floors packed with orange, proflex and suchlike. i used to cycle to chevin cycles from leeds in my early teen via golden acre park for a rest ;). im lost in bike shops now though...bottom of range models sporting altus and so-on for £400 bucks :?

glad you guys know these 'proper' bike shops.

Back