my Scottish mission! future planning help!!

mikee":10kyyvaf said:
think if your comming all this way you need to do 1 highland outing
at least
seems a bit sad just to do trail parks

This.

I think a lot of the English guys forget about our nice relaxed lack of laws of trespass.

Technically 'we have the right to responsible access'. Tresspass can still apply in certain areas such as MOD land or riding straight across the greens of a golf course or through someones garden etc Further although a farmer is not technicall allowed to shoot you under the law, he/she does have a lot of land for your body to be burried on ;)

Your right mikee but its a whole load of travelling, nothing really much until well after the central belt. Besides Kirro and Mabie/Dalbeattie are less trail centreish than GT. I'm sure GMC had a super route linking Mabie and Dalbeattie.

i would love to do the natural stuff in the highlands but i will admit i do like trail centres aswel as natural stuff. but i get the impression going to the highlands will take quite some traveling time.

@boxxer- i might take you up on that, depends on the hotel situation, i don't really want to leave 2 bikes in the van at a trail centre carpark. i'd be gutted if they got nicked.

jonnyboy666":2nmlwd0w said:
i would love to do the natural stuff in the highlands but i will admit i do like trail centres aswel as natural stuff. but i get the impression going to the highlands will take quite some traveling time.

Glasgow to Fort William = 2 hours :cool:

Glasgow - Bridge of Orchy = 1.5 hours :cool:

DSCN2149.jpg

:D

No probs Johnnyboy, just let me know closer to the time...

There are a few good places to stay in Innerleithen although I'm not sure on prices.... the Traquair Arms, Tweedside Hotel (my local pub, can speak to the owner about prices if you like) and there are a number of appartments about as well which seem to be quite popular

Good thing about inners is you have the XC and DH tracks along with some more free ridey stuff, Glentress is only 6 miles along the road and there are a number of hidden gems (if you like the more gravity orientated stuff) like Caberston Golf course track

hope that helps

If you really have a few days spare please think about making an organized venture up to the Highlands, we have so much to offer. Why not forego the Wales & Cumbrian on this occasion and make haste to the North?

It is a great time of year, I would be happy to take you over some of the most amazing trails in Europe, as I am sure others here would.

:)

i thought i drag this thread back out of the doldrums! :D

my thinking regarding this trip has changed abit, a mate was up for coming but can't get the time off so i'm thinking about not bothering with wales and trying to get north asap but the main thing at the moment is i'd need a recommendation for a hotel in (i think) Dumfries, it seems pretty central to the various trail centres and not far from the actual organised ride on the sunday.

after the event i am now considering atleast a day in the highlands (@ highlands flyer, a guide would be awesome!)

as far as time goes i have loads, the event is on the middle sunday of 2 weeks off work, i was thinking of leaving home friday, riding somewhere like cannock chase near birmingham then carrying on north to stay the night, then riding again on saturday, somewhere undecided as yet then driving the last leg to scotland and staying in Dumfries for a total of maybe 3 days hence wanting a reasonable place to stay.

this is still my main holiday this year so i'm happy to pay for reasonable accommodation.

so any one know of a good hotel? :D

Go the whole hog and visit either fort bill or Skye,both have some amazing scenery :cool: .
The further north and west you go the better.

If you headed up to fort william as a base for a few days you could do the trail centre and a couple of really wild rides - you'd get to go through Glencoe too.

How far off road will you ride in a day?

Fort William Wild ride suggestions...
Train to Bridge of Orchy (or further down the line) then West Highland Way back to Fort William.

This day trip... (unsupported you will need a survival bag and full first aid kit)
this is last years tour de ben nevis race..
http://www.endomondo.com/event/828137
there is a video too here...
http://www.nofussevents.co.uk/event/Tou ... evis/1813/

Back