Do you still use tubs?

ededwards

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
rBotM Winner
Feedback
View
Just wondering whether people are using tubs on a regular rider or have generally switched to the ease of repair offered by a clincher?

I still use tubs for road racing and cross but not for general riding - the roads I ride on around here are littered with sharp flints, gravel and potholes that 'eat' tyres. I'm presently riding about 300km a week and my 'strike' rate is presently about 1 puncture every couple of weeks.

I run tubs on my regular road bike.

But the roads have caused me a few casualities where repairs were out of the question.

I run continental giros because they have quite good performance and are dirt cheap. Plus they look good on a retrobuild with the gum walls.

When I got my motobecane I got handed a bag with a pair of nos Wolber neo pros for gratis which I ran with no problems.

I think I will get a set of clinchers though for zipping around and then switch to the tubs when I want to be serious or just pose around!

I ran a set of Veloflex clinchers and thought they were brilliant .

i run continental giros too on the gitane. look the part and run decent
have clinchers on the others

Spooky!! I was only gluing a set of new tubs onto my commuter earlier today!!

I use tubs on all my road bikes, I do run self-sealing gunk in them though. To be honest, with tubs feeling so much nicer, being faster and lighter and the sealants curing punctures without me having to mend/replace tubes, I think it's daft to use anything else!!

I was using Tufo tubs on the commuter, but they roll terribly, so I've just swapped them out for some Conti Podiums.

toomski":32s5it4k said:
I ran a set of Veloflex clinchers and thought they were brilliant .

Love these tyres. Not cheap though; worth snapping 'em up if ever you see a special offer on Veloflex.

David

I use them for TT'ing on when the weather's better.

Still got a few pairs of NOS one's maturing in the loft on rims.

yup, i still use tubs - they are far more likely not to puncture on the paris-roubaix like roads of scotland than hi pressured rims! vittoria tub glue is still available and i even squeeze the tubes of glue into my original 1980s dunlop rim cement tin with it's built in brush on the reverse side of the lid!!

ok, a bit sad but hey i like it that way!!

rusty :D

DSCF0020.jpg

DSCF0002.jpg

I grew up with tubs in the '70s, didn't know better :) Good quality clinchers came on later. I did stuck with the tubs. Used every brand in the meantime. At first Hutchinson Sprint, Wolber Unvulnarable, Vittoria Corsa, Clement Criterium (the best ones and most expensive), some unknown Tsjech brand (very nice ones I bought from a profesional rider who did bring them every time when he was there. And a little time ago I did buy (but not used yet) Contentinental Giro.
A really nice comfort, but the newer clinchers are good as well to my opinion.

Back