my Scottish mission! future planning help!!

jonnyboy666":3djodqgm said:
meaning, waymarked routes, route options, cafe, showers, etc
Day 5, Kirroughtree? red + black route is superb, arguably the best Stane. Then drive over to Peebles.

Day 6, If you're super fit, do both Innerleithen XC and Glentress in one day. If not, spread them out over 2 days?

so do you recommend those because you like them the most? are they technical/rocky/rooty/fireroad? or the usual trail centre mix of all?

Minimal fire-road slogging on all 3. Decent single-track, typically rocky, Glentress is a bit 'motorway', but still huge fun.

Kirroughtree
Innerleithen and GT
More GT

jonnyboy666":7jwaftat said:
so do you recommend those because you like them the most?
If you're looking for waymarked trails, cafe at the end, etc then you can't really go wrong with these. I haven't ridden all the Stanes, but Innerleithen and especially Kirro' both made a big impression on me. I've ridden Glentress a lot, and even with the trail sanitation that's been going on recently, I never fail to finish without a big grin.

I suppose if it were me I'd try and mix in some natural riding, but you've only got those 2 days, and the Stanes are simple, easy and a lot of fun.

I'd say find a base near Drumlanrig, I'll ask around, what kind of accomodation are you after? From the near Drum base take in Mabie and Dalbeattie one day, Kirroughtree the next and finish off with GT before heading south again. Sure theres good and arguably better cycling all over but this would maximise biking and hitting the more famous bits. Some of us should be around to hook up I'll definately try t get another one of those days.

Another option is a big ride out of Drumlanrig, I'm hoping to recce this some time this year and if any visitors are staying and want to ride after the national I'll try to organise it. Both myself and Gazz are putting plans together for the Drumlanrig meet and a day after ride has been mentioned. This is meant to have a crazy singletrack descent. The ride is detailed in 'Bike Scotland: Tails guide' Called the 'Wanlockhead gold rush'.

oohh i'm liking the look of that lot!!! :D :D :D :D thanks for those links

bearing in mind how many days i will be there, would anybody be interested in joining me? i realise most will be at work on the week days :(

i know it's 5 months off but i'm all excited after seeing those links :D :D

accommodation wise i prefer b+b/hotel to camping but keeping it local to where the meet is would be good. somewhere with wifi and an evening meal option would be good or a close by pub for food etc.

as this is gonna be my main holiday this year i don't mind paying for reasonable place as opposed to trying to be really penny pinching.

anything you guys can recommend would be awesome :D

I'll be down to Drumlanrig a few times and I'll ask Rik, also GMC is from the area and may have some ideas.

Secure bike storage in my garage if you hit Innerleithen... I live 2 mins from the trails and you can have a garage key as long as you post it thru the letter box when you're done.... I'll be at work otherwise would offer to show you some trails....

I've got to recommend Kirroughtree Black run, still the best XC course I have ever ridden, very varied and a good day out in amazing country side. I want to do it again this year.

think if your comming all this way you need to do 1 highland outing
at least
seems a bit sad just to do trail parks

Back